Friday, June 17, 2011

Chocolate Brownies with Dried Cranberries


Last week while visiting April at her site:   http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/  I discovered her wonderful recipe for Chocolate Brownies.  Her original recipe was found after her visit at a California winery tour:  see it at:  She gave me permission to share my version with you today.
http://www.21stcenturyhousewife.com/index/Blog/Entries/2011/6/9_Brownies_For_Grown_Ups_at_The_Robert_Mondavi_Winery.html

When I cook and bake, I often alter and vary the recipes especially if I am out of what the recipe calls for.  I was out of chocolate, but I had chocolate chips. No rum, but I had some left over brandy from a Brandy Cake, and not the correct wine, but I had some wine I use to marinade chicken. You will see her recipe below, with my changes just because.

These brownies are Sooo good. My husband votes YES it is a keeper.

Chocolate Brownies with Dried Cranberries or Dried Cherries


6 ounces semisweet chocolate (or ¾ cup chocolate chips melted)
6 ounces butter
1/4 cup rum (I used 1/4 cup brandy)

4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup flour (I used 1/3 cup flour)

1/2 cup dried cherries (I used 1/2 cup dried cranberries (Optional also add 1/2 cup raisins)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon (I used white wine)

Put the dried cherries, the raisins, 1 teaspoon of sugar and the wine into a saucepan. Cook on low until the cherries absorb the wine and plump up. Cool and set aside. Drain before you add to the batter.

Melt butter and chocolate in a bowl over simmering water on the stove top. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir in the rum. Let the chocolate mixture cool slightly.

Blend the eggs and sugar together and then slowly add to the warm chocolate mixture. Stir in the flour and nuts until well combined. Pour into oiled baking pan, and bake at 325 degrees on centre rack in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Use a tooth pick to check for doneness. Let cool before cutting into squares.

This post has been entered in Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Do visit her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

fof

2 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

YUM! I loved the looks of April's when I saw it the first time, and I like the looks of yours, as well. It's good to know it holds up to a few tweaks. I'd love to surprise my husband with a little more sophisticated twist on brownies (though he likes simple stuff just fine).

Thanks for linking this to Food on Fridays, Hazel!

Jacob said...

You are improvising your chocolate brownies. Great job. My wife would like to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.