Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I Ruined the Photo

Photo courtesy of Photobucket

Celebrating the 50th wedding anniversary for my Grandparents on my dad’s side of the family, their 12 children had planned a family reunion at Mooney’s Grove with a picnic and games for the children.

A photographer had been hired to take photos of Granddad and Grandma and other pictures with different shots of various groups of the family.

The most important photo was my Grandmother and Grandfather sitting together in two chairs with nothing behind them except the pale blue sky and a few wooded trees.

However I was a rebellious little 10 year old who thought she knew it all. With a bottle of Coke in one hand, I ventured behind my wonderful grandparents. The photographer saw me and yelled for me to get out of the way so he could take the photo.

I did so, but then I wandered around and over quite a distance away and got into the rear of the back ground. While raising my coke bottle to my lips, I waited then quietly left.

I thought I was invisible to all, but the truth was - - not quite.

A few weeks later the photos were ready and as they were closely examined, one of my uncles called my dad on the telephone.

My uncle was very upset, and he spoke in an angry but controlled voice, “There is a girl in the background of the main photo of Mom and Dad, and it looks like one of yours. She certainly has ruined this photo.”

My parents called my sister and me into the front room and told us to sit on the couch.

My dad’s deep voice bellowed, “Which one of you ruined Grandma and Grandpa’s 50th wedding anniversary photo?”

One look at me with my red face and “guilty as charged look,” Dad knew that it was me.

Dad and mother were so embarrassed by my actions and that was my major punishment.

My Dad made sure that I understood that everyone in the entire extended family of Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and many cousins all knew what I had done.

Knowing that was also a burden very difficult for me to carry.

I can’t remember if I received a spanking - - but I probably did, as that was customary!

One lesson that I learned was that even when you think no one is watching, you will still be found out and you will be discovered in the long run.

The Bible reminds us that “Be sure your sin will find you out.”  My sin always did!

The best suggestion is not to get into those situations that will bring you and your family embarrassment and shame.

Were you ever embarrassed to tears? Hopefully not and if so, hopefully not again!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh, this was standard fare at our house. It think maybe it is out of fashion...or maybe kids don't have the consciences that burn like that anymore. But, just reading this I was squirming!

Ann Kroeker said...

You're a feisty one, Hazel!

I love that line, "It looks like one of yours."

But I hate that line, "She certainly has ruined this photo."

I would imagine your grandma and grandpa wouldn't have minded so much, would they? Did they? Did anyone ever laugh about it later?