Thursday, June 2, 2011

Proposal


Photo courtesy of Photo Bucket

The year was 1949 and we had not discussed marriage, so when he said, “If I buy you a ring, will you wear it?” I responded with another question, “What kind of a ring?”

As it turned out he had $60 in his pocket, which as he handed it to me he said, “Keep this in a safe place and later when I have more, we will visit Brother Larson (the jeweler who attended our church) and we will pick out a wedding set.

I took the $60 from him, and replied. “Okay.”

That was how he proposed, and how I accepted.

The wedding ring is a symbol of eternal love, commitment, vows and promises; “Forsaking all others, to you only will I cleave until death do us part.”  We have kept those promises.

Through the years, we have found it necessary to replace my ring with a larger size and the ring I now wear is only a gold band; but the meaning is there and I wear it with joy and with pride.

The time I visited Korea, I took off all my diamonds, as traveling with jewelry can tempt thieves.  My husband told me he did not want me to travel “unbanded.” So we purchased a single gold ring to alert others that I was taken.  I belonged to him!

We as Christians do not wear anything visible that alerts the world that we belong to Jesus. However our faces do reflect His glory as we shine for Him.

Yes, we are urged to put on Spiritual garments; the garment of praise, the armor of God and to wear the robe of His righteousness.

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Colossians 3:12


This post has been shared with Bonnie Gray at
   Bonnie’s Faith Jam

With Nantawa Bennett at Happy Friday

And Shared at Friendship Friday with Ramona

.

7 comments:

Ann Kroeker said...

Lovely story of your practical proposal and ring--you are *taken*!

Cheryl Smith said...

You have such spiritual wisdom, Hazel. I love your mention of the three garments we are to wear.

This post is especially timely as I think about our fifth anniversary, approaching on June 24th. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful proposal - such hope! And look at all those years that have passed.

I've been spending a lot of time in 1 Peter 2 where Peter says we are a chosen people. I love that imagery, the same that you have captured here. It's wonderful to be chosen.

mail4rosey said...

That's really nice that he wanted to make sure you had a ring even if you couldn't wear the one you had been. Very thoughtful, and I like your story. Happy Valentine's Day.

I am visiting today from the Happy Friday Blog Hop. :)

HisFireFly said...

I wear a ring around my finger to tell the world I belong to my husband and a cross on a chain around my neck to tell them I belong to Christ!

Lisa notes... said...

Love those two questions about the ring. :-) Sounds like you two read each other's minds as well.

jasonS said...

What a great story, Hazel. And I want the world to know that I am His as He wants all to know as well. What a picture of His love! Thank you.