Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Accounting Error


image courtesy photobucket.com
My friend called me and asked if I would like a temporary job where she worked. 

She said, “They need some simple research done, and with your math expertise, you would be a good choice.”

“Sure,” I told her, “Give me directions how to get there, and when to show up.”

This was a strange request, but I could understand that my friend was occupied doing her job and the Senior Accounts Payable person was busy and did not have time to research what they wanted me to do.

The Senior Accountant handed me last months account records, and told me the balance was off by ten cents, and I was hired to find it and correct it.
 

My question was, “Why not cover a ten cent error with an accounting adjustment and let it go?”

The accountant in no uncertain terms said, “We can’t do that.  You must find the error and fix it properly.”
 
 
I could see that I was dealing with a perfectionist, so there was no arguing about it. 
 
You can’t treat a business the same way we often treat our personal check book balances.
 
 
Carefully I set out to audit last months accounts, and I found them to be perfect.  I was told to go over them again until I found the error. 
 

After being there for four days, I finally made a request that I be given the account records for the previous month.
 
 
The accountant told me that she had already gone over past months, and they were fine. 
 
 
Almost begging her I asked, “Please let me have a look,” and she finally relented and retrieved the prior month’s records.
 
 
Whispering a prayer for help, I set out to find the error. 

God was gracious and it did not take me very long, and there it was - - big as you please, or should I say small as you please the ten cents worth of error.

In life there are times, when it is easier to sluff off the small stuff and let it go, and other times there is a need to search for the error and make a hard call to fix it right.

I am thankful that God has one book with our name in it, and all the other evidence against us has been washed away and our record has been made clean.

This post is shared at: Tell Me a Story
Also Shared with Nantawa Bennett at Happy Friday
 
 

4 comments:

Floyd said...

Good for you! The instinct to know some things is a gift from God. To be named as His family.... priceless... Great story, Hazel.

Anne said...

Most times, little things do matter a lot. Great story :)

Catch My Words said...

I used to be a cashier, and a ten cent error could very well be a $1,000 error, so we always had to figure out why we were off even by the tiniest amount. I'm glad you found it.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please rest assured that I am not really worried about my daughter. She was raising funds for charity while having a good time.

http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/04/atoz-meets-ww-z-for-zombies.html

caryjo said...

I'm so careful, picky when it comes to keeping our budgeting perfectly shown. I know I'm too picky when it's less than a dollar, but I don't want anyone to think I'm just too easy. My husband doesn't bug me, though. It's up to me.

Anyhow, good way of sharing. As usual, of course.

Thanks much. Gotta catch up.