Thursday, February 11, 2010

What are you looking at?

“Don’t look at me! I’m naked!” shrieked my 3 year old as she streaked from the bath room on her way to collect her pajamas which were still in her room.

I was reminded of that incident the other day as my eyes met those of a defiant teenager. She flaunted multiple piercing and bright green hair.

“What are you looking at?” she snarled.

“Honey if you are not smart enough to know what I am looking at, I, for certain, am not about to educate you,” was my gentle reply.

She softened, and then I told her that I was admiring her awesome hair.

“Oh …… thanks,” she replied.

I sighed. How often have I looked at the outward appearance of someone and failed to see value in those whose appearance or behavior is loudly calling out,

“Look at me I am naked.”

They do not know that they are wretched and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked.

Let’s turn the tables. Are we, as Christians, subtly influenced by fashion as it is displayed in advertising? Do we, ourselves, often adapt to the popular fads and trends?

Perhaps we as Christians are also guilty of calling out,

“Look at me I am naked!”

The obvious fact is that we literally, and spiritually, need to get dressed as we streak through life!

May we be reminded that God provides for us a Robe of His righteousness to cover our nakedness.

“Oh Lord, forgive me when I have conformed to this world. Help me not to be judgmental, but to pray for those whom I see as naked. “

The Bible tells us that people look on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at their hearts.

“Lord, open my eyes that I may see people, unsaved or saved, as you see them. Let me be an example so that when they view me, that they will see Jesus."

So my dear friend, “What are you looking at today? What are you really seeing?

No comments: