Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I LOVE TO WIN

One of our favorite games to play when the children visit is “Flinch.” It is a fast and fun game of cards with a specially made deck just for this game.

My husband recently whispered to me, “Hazel, please, won’t you allow your grandchildren to win once in a while?”

I winced, because I knew he was right, but, oh that was so difficult for me to allow someone else to win the game because I am so very competitive, and I hate to loose.

The taste of the thrill of winning is always there for me, but when I realized that I was depriving my children and grandchildren of that very same thrill, it taught me a lesson in giving.

Now it is easier than it used to be for me to give in and allow them to defeat Grandma and be the champion.

When I play a game alone on the computer usually at, Pogo.com, I enjoy playing against the computer. Jungle Gin is one of my favorite games. It is a game of Gin Rummy with special effects. My attitude is “I will win.” Even when it appears that I am loosing the game, I continually say to myself, “I can still win this game,” and most of the time I do.

There are times in life when it seems that defeat is eminent. When bad things happen, it is wise to keep telling yourself, “This too shall pass, and with God’s help I will be a winner.” Bring to your mind some of the Scripture verses you have memorized, and hear your voice remind you that God will bring you through this triumphantly.

However if you are wallowing in the mud, thinking all is lost, and you find yourself enjoying a pity party, it is time to get up and wash your face (like King David did.) It is this moment to tell your self, what is past is done, and I shall begin again for the game is not over yet.

In your church, there may be young ones or new Christians who are ready to participate in teaching, or in the service. The choir is usually a good place to allow them to begin to have a part. They need to experience the thrill of being used by God.

In all this, it is a win - win situation when others step up to bat and it is their turn to hit the home runs in the ministry and in life. I do not mean for you to sit back and relax, for there are many games for YOU to win even yet. God is not through with you.

Psalms 92:4 For thou, LORD, have made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands.

2 Corinthians 2:14 Now thanks be unto God, which always causes us to triumph in Christ, and makes manifest the savor of his knowledge by us in every place.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

triumph in Christ...yes, a good thing to remember.

Cris Ferreira said...

"God is not through with you."
Hazel, thanks for reminding me...