Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Who is Jesus? Chapter 29 Jesus Says Some Puzzling Words


  
To View This Post Chapter 29 on YouTubeLive Click Here



Body of Christ - and Blood of Christ


Who is Jesus? Chapter 29  Jesus Says Some Puzzling Words

Today's message is taken from John chapter 6.  

Although Jesus ministered from boats, many times out in the desert or on Mountain tops, it was often that he taught in the Jewish Synagogue.  One Sabbath day as he taught in the synagogue located in Capernaum, the people found him there and asked; “Rabbi, when did you come here?”  

Jesus answered them, Of a truth, you are seeking me, because you ate your fill of the loaves.  Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give to you. 

Then they said to him, “How must we do the works of God?”  Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom God has sent.” Jesus then said to them, “I tell you the truth, indeed Moses gave you manna, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” They said to him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.   All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.  For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 

So the Jews grumbled about him, because he said, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.”   Jesus answered them, “Do not complain among yourselves.  No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him.  I truly tell you, whoever believes has eternal life. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and receive eternal life.  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world - - is my flesh.”  

The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”  So Jesus said to them, “I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.  Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, know that I will raise him up on the last day.  For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 
 
(Okay Jesus, now you are changing the subject and getting weird - why is this?  Tell me Jesus; Are you looking into your future when your flesh is broken and placed on the cross for our sins and healing?  Are you speaking of the table of communion in remembrance of your death?  Those listening to you, do not see into your future, because their eyes are only fixed on what you can do for them each day for their food.  In a few days there same people might be part of the crowd that yells 'crucify him.') 

On hearing these strange words and not understanding that Jesus was speaking of spiritual things referring to his future in a few days.  Very soon when his body would be broken during his appointed time of judgement, and the glorious future celebration of communion.  They could not understand that Jesus was not speaking of actually eating his flesh and drinking his blood, so as natural men, many of his disciples said, “This is a hard teaching.  Who can accept it?”

Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you?  Then what if you see the Son of Man go up in a cloud to heaven where he was before!  (This too was a future event when after the resurrection, Jesus would return to heaven in a cloud.)  The Spirit gives life and the words I have spoken to you they are full of the Spirit and life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.  

From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.   So Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?”  Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” 

 Then Jesus replied, “Have I not chosen you, the Twelve? Yet one of you is a devil!”  (He meant Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, who, though he was one of the Twelve, later would betray him.)    

Today are you like Peter who says, I believe You are the Holy One of God?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

It was so nice to visit with you and watch your video tonight! It has been a while since I got to stop by, and I was so blessed to be here. You are always such an encouragement to me, but it was even more so to get to watch and listen to your voice. May the Lord bless you, my friend.