Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Boldness

As a young child, I was extremely shy, and in school if the teacher called on me to recite, my heart would pound and my face would turn a crimson red. I would suffer the flush flowing to my cheeks, and tears rushing to my eyes, and my body was almost frozen not allowing my mouth to speak. Fear has it’s torments !!

My teacher was wise, and she decided that to help me out of my shell, she would give me some responsibility.

A few days later, she led me into the children’s library that was next to our first grade room, and showed me how to place the books on the shelf in their order by author. She told me that I was now in charge of the library. I suppose that began my love for books and the printed word.  Also it may have been the beginning of (at times,) me being an in-charge person!

One day, my teacher decided to divide the class into three reading groups. As she called the names for group one, I was not included. Group two was called and I heard my name. I was stunned. Although it was not the actual case, I perceived group two and three to mean, inferior and less important than group one, and I was not happy.

The teacher was speaking, “Group one will please come with me into the Library, and the others will stay and study their lesson.” Group one stood and began to follow the teacher. I also stood and tagged along with the others. The teacher noticed immediately and gently told me, “Hazel, you are in group two.” I boldly spoke up and said firmly, “I am number one.” The teacher, hid a smile, and said, “alright, I will include you in group one.”

That incident of being bold did NOT cure me of my shyness, or embarrassment when I was called on, but I was emotionally rewarded for having stood up for what I believed at the time.

Do you ever break out in a cold sweat, your heart pounds like a drum, and the palms of your hands are wet with fear? I must insert here, “Join the Club.”

Most of us suffer with times of hesitancy to step forward when there is a need to make a stand. Many of our fears are imaginary and we fanaticize what might happen if we act.

Joyce Meyer has a saying that has meant a lot to me, and it is: “DO it AFRAID.”

The next good piece of advice is to listen to the still small voice of the Holy Spirit. If the Lord is telling you, to speak up, shut up, go forward, get out, stay there - - be quick to listen, and if it lines up with the Word of God, and you have peace about it, then obey.

Boldness comes with practice, and each time you listen and obey, you will gain confidence. The Holy Spirit is our helper, and He gives strength to the weak, and might and power to those who will make the effort to ask Him for it, and believe it is for you.

Be Bold, be confident, and know that God will open doors for you, simply be courageous enough to enter each door, and you will be amazed what God will do through you.

Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursues: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

No comments: