Thursday, December 9, 2010

I Caint Hep It

The influence from the South, and many of their sayings, were embedded in my husband, Robert; even though he had only spent a few of his early years in Tennessee, and in the Carolinas.

When I met him at age 19, his soft Southern accent was still evident after living many years in California.

A couple in our church took great pleasure in teasing Robert for the way he spoke, and he would shyly answer, “I caint hep it.”

There are many more, but these are several of the sayings that hung on to him for many years.

Y'all, whooped with the ugly stick, Ain't got, Fixin', Much obliged, No-count, Them there, Tote, Yonder, Ya'll Come Back, Now Ye Heer!

“Thanks till you are better paid,” was one I learned from my Father-in-law after I had helped them file their income tax report.

Little by little the sweet accent faded and along with it many of the sayings, as he learned to talk California Speak.

Language has many avenues. and as Christians, we must learn first and foremost to exercise and speak the Language of LOVE!

Luke 10:27 And Jesus said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all thy heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.

No comments: