Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bewitched

Running into the house after school, my youngest daughter was both excited and angry all at the same time!

She exclaimed breathlessly, “Mom, you won’t believe what happened today at school! Someone brought in a real witch, for show and tell, and she told us how to leave our body and sit at the top of a telephone pole!”

I could tell that my daughter was very upset, so I deliberated a moment and then asked, “Well, what do you want me to do about it? Would you like for me to go to school and speak to the class?”

With a sigh of relief she replied, “Could you do that Mom? Would you do it?”

Not so sure I wanted to do this, but ready for most anything, I answered, “Yes, I will go with you to school in the morning.”

“Oh, Lord, what have I gotten myself into now,” I prayed. Almost immediately the Holy Spirit brought to mind some examples to use. Energized, I set about gathering some “in your face” gospel booklets I had on hand.

The next day, I requested the school office to notify the homeroom teacher that I was there in rebuttal to the witch that visited yesterday. After being given permission to attend the class, I sat in the back until it was sharing time. The teacher introduced me and asked the students to give me their best attention.

All eyes were on me. I knew had to make this count. I broke the silence. “I’m not against education, and I am not here to preach, but I am here because of the witch who visited here yesterday. It is important to alert you that there are some real dangers in dabbling in the occult,” I announced, while selecting my words carefully.

My illustrations began, “If you were in the infectious ward of a hospital with very ill patients, would you enter without special clothes, a mask, gloves and protection? The answer is obvious if you are concerned about your own health. The infectious disease could get on you, and then in you, becoming very difficult to get rid of.”

The next example painted a picture of someone going deep sea diving. I demonstrated the foolishness of jumping into the water without first donning diving gear, and using the proper equipment.

I explained that, in the same, way each person must protect his spirit. Otherwise it is possible to open-up ones self to receive spiritual forces that can lead to disaster. I knew I could not preach, so I did the next best thing the Lord had prepared me to do: I shared a scripture:

"There shall not be found among you any one ... that uses divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord..." (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)

As I finished speaking, there wasn’t a sound. Anticipation mounted as I carefully placed 50 gospel booklets on the desk in front of me.

I cheerfully invited, “I cannot pass out these booklets, but as you leave class today you are free to take one or more with you. I wish I had more of the booklet, ‘Bewitched,’ because it tells of dangers of dabbling with witches. However, I do have quite a few similar booklets so please help your self. “

As the High School students filed by my table, most of them shyly took one or two of the books.

One sweet girl smiled at me and said, “Mrs. Moon, I am so glad you came to school today. My mother wanted to, but she was too scared.”

Dear friend if you have ever dabbled in fortune telling, used an Ouija board, read books of incantations, or anything similar, there is hope and freedom available for you. A simple confession will not do. You must reject anything in which you have been involved in. Ask the Lord to forgive you. Immediately, begin to replace all the old webs of Satan with the Holy Spirit and the Word of God. Allow your spirit to be filled with His peace.

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusts in Thee.

You may enjoy these books.

Deliver Us from Evil by Cindy Jacobs

Experiencing the Holy Spirit by Andrew Murray

No comments: