Thursday, June 17, 2010

Soda in the Pot

Reading Helpful Hints has always intrigued me. One tip that I discovered was to use baking soda to clean your coffee pot. It also worked as an excellent cleanser in the coffee thermos bottle that my husband took with him to work each day.

One summer morning I put some soda into the thermos and let it soak for awhile before I rinsed it out. Soon I continued the washing of the pot and poured in the coffee for my husbands work.

That particular morning, my husband Robert was taking the two teen age boys to work with him. Our son, Steve and his young Uncle Doug were the same age and enjoyed being able to help on the job.

Returning from work that afternoon, Steve triumphantly marched into the kitchen and handed me the coffee thermos as he declared, “Dad did not drink his coffee today, and I am so glad, because I saw you put soda in it this morning.”

My face color drained to ashen grey, as I realized that Steve had not seen the entire picture. I carefully explained to him that I would NEVER pull a stunt like that as a joke, or to harm anyone especially not to his Dad.

I wanted to make it clear that soda is to help clean the thermos and it is always rinsed out before the coffee goes in. Then I carefully dumped the coffee into the sink, so Steve could see that there was only coffee in the pot.

The relief in his face was visible as he understood that all is not - - as it sometimes appears.

I was so thankful that Steve did not harbor this incident in his heart and believe the worst of his mother. Instead he considered it wise to come to me and to clarify the facts.

This is a perfect example to always discover the entire story before relating to others what might prove to be only what we thought we saw.

There is an old quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin that says,
“Believe none of what you hear - - and only half of what you see.”

The scriptures instruct us that our mortal eyes and ears cannot comprehend all that God has prepared for those who love Him. One of these days, we will see and understand all, and it will be revealed to us in its entirety.

1Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.

No comments: