Friday, December 30, 2011

Make me Some Gravy


image courtesy photobucket

"Bea make me some gravy," was the mournful cry coming from my young teen age brother in law. Bea was the name that my husband and all his brothers called their mother.

We lived a short distance from my in-laws and I often visited Bea and we were chatting, but as the whining continued it became too much for me to handle. He had fried some sausage and eggs, but now he wanted gravy. Bea was busy with her baby and did not want to make the gravy.

image courtesy photobucket
Finally I got up and went to the stove and asked for a bit of flour (about 2 tablespoons) and using 2 tablespoons of the sausage grease, I began to slowly brown the flour stirring it with a fork.

I asked him to watch me so next time he could do the gravy himself. Then I added some salt and pepper and slowly added about a cup of water to create a smooth brown gravy for him.

A person could use milk instead of water, and also add a few drops of soy or Worchestershire sauce for flavor and to make it extra brown.

My young brother in law must have been satisfied, for the complaining stopped and he finished his breakfast without any more outbursts.

His whining and fussing paid off for him, and then Bea and I went about our visit.

Thinking about how we must sound to God at times, I wonder if our prayers are more of a whine, fussing and complaining because we want something we think we deserve. I know my prayers have been that way at times.

Now I am endeavoring to come to the Lord and ask once and then thank Him that he is working on it.

Another thing that I have gathered is that in some situations, when I ask God for something - - He offers assistance but then tells me to learn to do it myself.

So next time you want some gravy, watch closely because next time, you might need to fix it yourself.

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/

Do hop on over to her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

2 comments:

floyd said...

I love biscuits and gravy... I can't remember how many years since I've had it. It's one of those things that is too good. If I have it, I'll want more...

I've been guilty of whining to God about what I want or think I deserve. Often many of us go after what it is we desire and after the course is set we then call on the Creator of all things to bail us out. It's a slow learning process, but I'm learning to wait on the gravy or make it myself... God is honored.

Really great analogy Hazel... Although I might have biscuits and gravy tomorrow...

caryjo said...

I've come to a place where I rarely ask for much of anything. I mostly spend my time praising and worshiping and thanking. He's the only Fixer. I can SO trust Him for the final results.

Your story is a good example.