Saturday, January 14, 2012

Be Still my Soul



Be Still my Soul, and Know that He is God!

I was awakened the other morning hearing the angels sing - - Not with my "ears" but in my spirit I heard repeated over and over again - -

'Be still O' my soul, and know that He is God! Be still O' my soul, and know that He lives within my heart.'

Not being a song writer and not much of a singer either, this was a new experience for me. I rejoiced as the anthem rolled and flowed over my spirit.

As a child I remember asking my mother, “Why does our church spend so much time praising God?” She replied, “When we get to heaven we will do a good deal of praising, so we might as well get in practice now by worshiping the Lord with our mouth”

I can imagine the angel choir singing praises to God, and one day we will join with them in song when we reach heaven. However Mother’s suggestion is a good one, begin NOW to get in practice with your praise.

Through out the day I discover my lips saying, “Thank you Jesus.” I am reminded of the verse, “Bless the Lord O’ my soul, and forget not all His benefits.”

There are many reasons to Praise God!

1.  First and foremost we are grateful that God sent His only begotten son Jesus, to die for us so that we might be saved from destruction.

2.  We praise Jesus for being willing to leave heaven’s glory, to lay down his life, and to become the supreme sacrifice so that we might inherit eternal life.

3.  We give thanks to the Holy Spirit for filling us, and coming along side us to be our guide comforter, and teacher.

4.  On the earthly and material level we then give thanks for everything and anything that brings us pleasure and joy, and for which we can be grateful.

List making is not my forte and never has been, (except for an occasional grocery list.)

However there are many who join with Ann Voskamp taking their Inventory of One Thousand Gifts to be thankful for.  Her book by that name has been a best seller and also has been translated into six languages. Amazing isn’t it?  Click on her name above to visit her site. :-)

Ann’s record taking is of simple things that most of us overlook. Might we begin to be thankful for a delicate flower discovered in the path, a smile or a giggle from a child, or an unexpected hug from a friend?

In our hurry and scurry to get things done and finish the tasks that we have put on our “To Do list,” may we somewhere in that rush - - STOP and take time to BE STILL and reflect on God, and give Him the praise that is due Him.

'Be still Oh' my soul, and know that He is God!

This post has been linked to Laura’s, Brag on God Fridays  

10 comments:

Jerri Tuck said...

Very good word Hazel. Thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, one I think would be good to do. Thank you Hazel
Love Vicki K

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to wake up!
A clarion call for life and starting the day.
Thanks for the blog visit.
We are definitely trying to bolster Caleb's immune system...it has been a rough few months but praying that the streak is over!
Bless you!

Nancy Kehr said...

"Go ahead, Mom, and write down the words you were given...add to them and soon you will have the whole song!

Nikki (Sarah) said...

this is exactly what I needed to read...being still and know.....thanks for posting this...Hope the rest of the weekend shines for you. ☺

floyd said...

This is a wonderful reminder for me to stop and smell the roses. To muse, or think deeply about the omnipotence of God is mind boggling. Words like yours today cause me to ponder my Father. And that's a great thing. Thanks Hazel, God bless you.

Aritha V. said...

Very good to encourage yourself to be still/silent before God. And to wake up with a song in your heart is a gift from our gracious God who cares for us day by day.

I was so glad with your comment on my blog! Thank you very much.

Esther Joy said...

There is nothing that calms my soul more than to be still before Him, or to enter His gates with praise!

Rhonda Schrock said...

I love that verse, "Be still and know that I am God." Sometimes I hear Him whisper this to me. It's so comforting!

caryjo said...

I often wake in the middle of the night or just as I'm coming out of the deep sleep in the morning with praise songs in my mind and heart. It is one of my best times, b/c "everydayness" hasn't interfered as yet. And "Be Still My Soul" is one of my all-time favorite hymns, although it's not the song presented on this post. I have a real mix of love of older hymns and our present praise music. It's truly a blessing to be buried in praise.