Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fried Cabbage


Photo courtesy Christy Jordan’s Southern Plate

My dad liked cabbage, but he had a special way he wanted it prepared.  He always asked my mother to boil our cabbage for a long time and never to remove the lid until it was done. His thoughts were that this method would assist the cabbage to digest more easily.

Cabbage is one of the most reasonably priced vegetables that can readily be purchased for a few cents at your local grocery store. We enjoy it about once a month.

At first when I was the cook, I boiled cabbage just like my mother did. Then my husband and I began to experiment with various cabbage recipes.

At our church ladies meetings we often prepared a lunch with several ladies bringing pot luck. One of the women brought a special dish and she named it; “Fried cabbage.”

My first taste did not reveal that it was indeed cabbage; rather it seemed like a delightful new vegetable. What had she done to achieve this?

Naturally I asked for the recipe and I will share it here with you to enjoy once in a while.

Fried Cabbage

1 small head of cabbage sliced very fine.

8 slices of bacon cut in small pieces and fried until crisp in a large skillet
Remove bacon and add the shredded cabbage into the bacon grease

Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash or a seasoning you prefer.
1 cup of water added to the cabbage.

Cover and simmer slowly just until the cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove lid and stir fry until all liquid is gone.

Add the bacon, and serve.

This post has been linked at Ann Kroeker’s Food On Friday

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"This looks tasty, thank you Hazel... Love cabbage " Vicki K.