Each Winter my mother would mix up some homemade salsa with tomatoes, garlic and hot peppers from her garden. At the first sign of a sore throat, she would take a tablespoon full and chew it down.
I never tried her recipe, but perhaps it might have saved my hearing as most winters I contacted bronchitis and additional damage to the nerves in my ears.
Now I am trying my best to prevent a bad cold or the flu by brewing FIRE CIDER and drinking small amounts. Sometimes I mix the Fire Cider in a bit of Kefir Lemon Water or to the last gulp of my Kombucha tea.
Here for your enjoyment is the Recipe I use to make a batch of Home Made Fire Cider
1 Glass Gallon Jar with tight fitting lid.
- 1 large horseradish root, about 7 inches long (scrubbed very well) OR - - -
- ( I could not find horseradish, so I bought a 6 ounce jar horseradish in the refrigeration section at the Food Market. (Or two 4 ounce jars)
- 1 large ginger root, about 7 inches long
- 1 large onion, root and stem end removed and peeled and chopped
- 2 large oranges peeled and cut in pieces
- 2 lemons peeled and cut in pieces
- 16 cloves of garlic, peeled (I minced the garlic in my garlic press)
- 4 habanero peppers, stems removed
- 2 jalapeno peppers remove seeds and chop
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 quarts Heinz or Bragg’s apple cider vinegar (save the glass jars)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne Pepper
- Raw honey to taste (begin with ½ cup and add more if not sweet enough.)