Thursday, March 18, 2010

If You Are Not Sure - - - Wait

The voice on the other end of the line sounded frantic.

“They are sending me away for at least a year and I need to know if you will be there when I get out.” There was a note of urgency in my boyfriend’s voice because he had been arrested for purse snatching and now he was to be taught the lesson that crime does not pay.

I hesitated, because I knew he needed to calm down and I did not want him to try to escape from the Juvenile prison, or worse. So I told him,” Yes, I will be here when you get out.”

I knew in my heart that this was the closest thing to a white lie that could ever be told.

Certainly I would be “here,” but I was convinced that I could never marry this young man. I had told him “NO” many times and stated the reason was because the Bible says not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. He would always tell me, “I would never interfere with your religion and I would even attend church with you sometimes.”

This young man was part of our group of neighborhood friends. Yes he had gone to church with me a time or two, but afterwards, he would make fun of the service. Recently our Pastor had been exposing the lies and “lines” that fellows give their girl friends while using examples from real life tragedies. Our Pastor urged us to not date anyone unless they were a Christian and was marriage material, but I was seventeen and having fun!!

The Lord was good to me, and Mr. Knight-in- Shining- Armor soon entered the picture! Following Daily Vacation Bible School, our church held a week of special meetings. New families attended and several people gave their hearts to the Lord. A member of one of those families was a hard working young man. Eager to learn more about the things of the Lord, he signed up for some classes that had been offered. My mother and I were there also. Mother told me to show myself friendly and to go sit with this new young man, so I did!

A short time later, my brother invited this fellow over for Sunday dinner. After all, who could resist my mother’s home-cooked meal? Before long, the young man invited me to attend Saturday night “Youth for Christ” meetings held at the Municipal auditorium. Our friendship grew.

To make a long story short, Mr. Wonderful and I were married a few months later and lived happily ever after - - - well almost.

As an aside thought let me say that there is no one on this earth who has not suffered disagreements and hard times. It is important to note that we live in a fallen world and it is up to us to make the best of it with the Lord’s help. Without God it is often hit-and-miss.

We have endeavored to allow Jesus to guide us in our major decisions. He has been a very present help in times of trouble, in times of sadness, and in our times of happiness. One of our wedding gifts was a wall hanging that said, “Christ is the head of this house, the unseen guest at every meal, the silent listener to every conversation.” That was the rule we endeavored to live by.

I am so glad that God brought circumstances together to put distance between Mr. Wrong and me. Perhaps you are wondering the next step and direction for your life, your school, your work or your marriage and you are not certain which pathway to take. Do not jump too quickly! It may be time to wait on the Lord and to just - - - wait.

Isaiah 55:6 Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon Him while He is near:

No comments: