Friday, March 19, 2010

The Receptionist

“Good Morning, how may I help you?” the receptionist asked as she picked up her phone. I could hear the smile in her voice and her sincerity convinced me that she wanted to help. I felt comfortable immediately! I told her I was looking for a doctor because I was pregnant and was experiencing nausea every morning.

Her smiling voice prompted,” I have an opening next Tuesday at 10:00 AM, is that time and date good for you?” “Yes,” I told her.

Then the doctor’s receptionist offered some advice. “Honey, until you can get in to see the Doctor, put a soda cracker on your night stand. Without lifting your head, as you wake up, reach over and take a small bite of the cracker. It should help with the morning sickness.”

I enthusiastically thanked her! I knew that this Doctor had a jewel for a receptionist. Was I happy that I called her number? You bet I was! This Doctor eventually became our family physician for many years, all because his receptionist was cheerful and caused me to feel important.

What a contrast to a recent experience I have had with a local Doctor’s office. His receptionist is abrupt, snippy, and unpleasant with the patients. She acts bothered when patients call for a refill or other requests. Imagine that, in this day when good customer service is so valuable.

As a seasoned Mystery Shopper, my thoughts immediately turn to my shops designed to measure service and the hospitality of their employees. I wondered whether or not her doctor even realizes that his receptionist is a detriment rather than an asset. Certainly staff training or re-training would be in order. This receptionist should be required to watch some videos on public relations. If she were instructed how to better treat her clients, both she and her doctor would benefit. Not to mention the patients!!

As I mulled all this over, I was reminded of many excellent scriptures that reflect what the Bible teaches about our attitudes and our speech. (* List below)

Some of us may have a work situation, but each of us has family and friends. The home is one place where it seems to be most difficult to implement attitudes of love and appreciation. Let us purpose to make it a habit to treat each household member as if they were an honored guest. As we remind ourselves to watch our words and our mannerisms toward one another, something else will also occur. A conscious awareness that we are smiling more and that we’re at peace, will sweep over us.

In general, we’ll just enjoy life better!
*
Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart does good like a medicine: but a broken spirit dries up the bones.

Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Proverbs 15:13 A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.

Proverbs 15:23 A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good it is!

Colossians 4:6 Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer every man.

1 Thessalonians 2:7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherishes her children:

No comments: