Monday, January 31, 2011

The Violin

From where I sat on the front porch of my old home place, I could hear the sweet strains of the violin coming from our family radio. I do not ever before remember hearing anything so beautiful in my entire life. My young heart thrilled to the music.

When I told my mother that I wanted to learn to play the violin, she encouraged me to ask at school if there was one available for me. The elementary school music teacher told me that there was a loaner that I could use while at school, and she would teach me the beginning steps to learn to play.

I was delighted, and could only hope that I could bring forth the lovely sounds that I so vividly remembered taking pleasure in.

Shortly after, mother took me with her down town, and we visited a music store. The attendant showed us a used violin that was in good condition and he named the price of $25. In those days that was a lot of money, and our family was not known to be extravagant.

My mother was a person who never wanted to dampen our dreams and somehow she found the money and made the purchase. (I never knew what she gave up so I could have my precious violin.)

Although I practiced, and played in the school orchestra, my violin never sang the sweet tunes that I was searching for. My talent was lost to music, but I never regretted the hours spent in seeking out my love for music.

In stead it seemed my talent was enjoying music coming from others. They call it music appreciation and that is what I still do today.

Years later, I passed my old violin on to my daughter who expressed an interest in music.

When it comes to worshiping the Lord, God does not demand perfection from us. In fact the Bible tells us to “Make a Joyful Noise” unto the Lord, and praise His name.

When you sing praises unto God, it may sound like a noise to others, but to the Lord, it is the most thrilling and lovely sound that His ear can hear.

Isn’t it amazing that God does not criticize our songs of praise, but as a parent would enjoy his children, He is pleased with our sacrifice of praise unto Him.

Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.

Psalms 150:6 Let every thing that has breath praise the LORD. Praise you the LORD.









No comments: