Friday, September 30, 2011

Cooks Day (week) Off



image courgesy photobucket.com

Some days you just want to give up on cooking. That is what my husband told me.

In trying to come up with different meals, he said, “I guess I am just burnt out. It is now your turn to do the cooking.”

I have been so spoiled because for the last 15 years of our marriage, my husband has done most of the cooking at our house.

Honestly I was not anxious to take up the wooden spoon and rule the kitchen, but what is a girl to do when her cook takes a sit-down-strike?

The previous night I removed a pack of Hamburger from the freezer and yesterday morning, I crumbled and fried it until it was brown. Usually I would add half a chopped onion, but my husband was off onions for a few days.  From my spice shelf, I added a bit of Italian Seasoning, a mix of Garden Herbs, and a tablespoon of dried parsley. From the refrigerator I took my jar of crushed garlic and added half a teaspoon to the mix. Next I added two small cans of tomato sauce.

I was planning on making lasagna but my husband decided he was only drinking juice today --- so there went those plans.

Not to be undone, we cooks must be flexible, so I divided my hamburger mix into two storage bowls and it went into the refrigerator.  Each was ready to go into what ever hamburger dish I decided to make later on; tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, manicotti or what ever.

Today was a new day, so spaghetti it is. From the refrigerator, I removed one of the hamburger bowls and added to it 2 cups of prepared spaghetti sauce and more parsley.


image courgesy photobucket.com



While the spaghetti was boiling, I sliced up one medium size zucchini from our garden, and put a pat of butter into my steamer. Then I sprinkled the zucchini with some mixed herbs and turned on the steamer. In less than 15 minutes my meal was ready. We are watching our bread, but some nice French bread would have been lovely.

After you have been cooking for a good number of years, there are times when you cook with a “Wing and a Prayer.” Using what ever you have in the pantry and the refrigerator, and adding a dab of this and that, and thanking the Lord as you sing while you work.

As we blessed our food this day, we were both grateful that we have another day to praise the Lord and to enjoy our time together.

This post has been entered in Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Do amble over to her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounded yummy Hazel... We all need a break now and then, you know it! Vicki K

agreenearth said...

That sounds so delicious. Nothing like improvising to come up with something special.

Saleslady371 said...

You're such a good writer it doesn't matter if you could care less to cook! You make it sound inviting!

floyd said...

I appreciate the "real life" event. In the end you said it all, "We're grateful we have another day to praise the Lord and to enjoy our time together."

I guess that says it all. What a beautiful meal... Besides, spagetti is my favorite.

Sheila said...

I love those meals that just present themselves from whatever I have on hand. A well-stocked pantry is an amazing blessing.

Thanks, Hazel.