Monday, April 15, 2013

Be Angry and sin Not

 
This post is linked to Peter Pollock’s One Word Carnival The word is; Anger and the thought is to “Let It Go.”

Angry Mother
courtesy free clip art
A chapter from my next book Rescue the Stories Book Two
Be Angry and sin Not
Counting to ten is an old fashioned method used to help control your temper.  By the time you get to ten, supposedly you have cooled off and can remain calm again.
My Pastor’s wife taught me how to control my children from fighting or not sharing, by counting aloud, slowly to ten. 
I watched her in our church nursery with her two boys, and when they misbehaved very softly but surely she began her count to ten.
I was amazed at their response to settle down, and I told her so.  I also remarked that I was going to try this very soon with my own children. 
Often I was angry with them, and perhaps the count to ten was also for me.
My Pastor's wife suggested that first I threaten them with a punishment if I ever get to ten.  Provided they changed their behavior early enough they were home scot-free. 
It is not a sin to be angry at evil and un-justice.  However God desires that we control our anger and not be quick to loose our temper and carry it too far into destructive behavior.
Jesus was angry with the money changers in the temple.  He was upset with their greed, and their disrespect for God’s house.  That day He put on quite a vivid display of Righteous Anger. 
It is not a sin to be angry, but do not hold on to it over-night.
If you personally are having issues with anger - - Please count slowly to TEN!
Ephesians 4:26  Don't get so angry that you sin. Don't go to bed angry.

Ephesians 4:31  Stop being bitter and angry and mad at others. Don't yell at one another or curse each other or ever be rude.
 
This post is Shared with Laura at The Wellspring
Also shared at shared at: Tell Me a Story
  

7 comments:

tinuviel said...

Good advice. You linked up ahead of me at Laura's this week. May the Lord grant you grace and peace in whatever this day holds.

Laura said...

Yes, the counting to ten has saved me on more than one occasion. Such wise and good advice.

Hwindeler@gmail.com said...

What a wonderful post about a touchy topic. I like how you demonstrated the right time for anger (with injustice etc.) And I agree sometimes the counting to ten is for ourselves more than the kids... I have been there a few times. ;)

Wise Hearted said...

This post is such a good reminder. I always counted to three...slowly. The teens who are now adults with teen of their own still remember Bro. Draper and his counting to 3. Thanks Hazel, I think we need to use the counting with everything we get mad about. Blessings.

Floyd said...

I'm afraid my explosion used to go off long before I could ever think to start counting... My wife counted a couple times with the older girls, but never made it to three before the jig was up... I could have used this advice a long time ago! It's good to know and remember though... just in case the old man of me rears his ugly head! Thanks, Hazel.

joy said...

A timely reminder for everybody. Thanks Hazel:)

caryjo said...

I ain't a non-angry person frequently, BUT, since the Lord has poured so much peace in me these past years, I rarely go for throats, so to speak. I'm much better at dealing with it... and not just cuz I ain't young, but b/c of HIM!! Yep, I'm a "fighter" still... but usually for the protection of other people who are being assaulted in one way or another. Helping to turn them and other situations to peace. That's my goal.