Sunday, May 5, 2013

LEFT ALONE


Alone - courtesy photobucket.com
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

As I gleaned from Pastor Jerry’s sermon, he was relating that the roots of the saying “Peace be with you,” go back when Jesus spoke to John and his disciples, because their hearts were troubled.  This was not simply a casual friendly saying.

The early Christians greeted one another with a kiss on the cheek, and it was passed on to each member present.  If some of the members were annoyed with one another; the kiss stopped and would not be passed on.  The leader would step forward and resolve the matter so the two were reconciled and the kiss could be given and worship could resume.

Peace must replace anger and fear so that peace may remain.

Jesus spoke of things the followers did not then understand, how he must leave, but he would not leave them comfortless.  They wondered where Jesus was going without them.

At the Lords supper, Jesus gave them words of comfort, and yet strange words, “This is my body and my blood, and as oft as you do eat and drink, you shall remember my death and burial until I return again.

To have peace it is often easier said than done, because we are human. We tend to worry! We worry about our family, our children, our finances, our health, and our church.

There is so much unrest and violence in our world that causes us to be upset.  Hostility between family members, between neighbors, and between Nations gives us distress.

The death of Jesus was a result of betrayal and denial.  What kind of peace is this?

Jesus said, I am leaving, but I give you peace that passes understanding.  Lo I am with you always, and I will never leave or forsake you.  You are not alone.

Paul said, “What ever situation I find myself in, I am content.”  His peace was within.

We do not receive peace from a kiss a hug or a handshake, but from knowing that we can have that inward strength and peace in our spirit. 

When others are suffering and grieving, we often casually say, “Peace be with you,” but they need more than a careless word. 
 
Tokens of friendship include being there, hugs, shedding tears, listening, and perhaps bringing food.

We lose loved ones, but they are not gone.  In a real sense, their presence is still with us.

The presence of Jesus is with us as he promised. 
 
We are not alone.  His peace is with us.

Regardless of the situation, the Presence of God and His peace is with us at all times.


This post is shared with Charlotte’s Spiritual Sundays

 

6 comments:

Pamela said...

I often wonder how people face life without God and the peace He gives. Just last night I repeated David's words, "I will lie me down in peace and sleep" as I went to sleep. Life may unsettle our minds, but God gives our hearts peace -- not that the "bad" won't happen, but that God will be with us through it.

TC Avey said...

I'm so thankful for His peace...we need it in this world.
As I prepared for my post today, it was His peace I leaned upon. The days ahead will be challenging for followers of Christ. But we aren't facing this world alone. His peace He as left with us. He will never leave us nor forsake us...that gives me the courage I need to face the evils of this world, to expose them in my posts.

God bless and thank you for reminding me about His abundant peace.
John 10:10

Anonymous said...

Hey there, You have done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
I'm sure they will be benefited from this site.

Also visit my web page :: Get More Information

Denise said...

Hi Hazel,
Feeling uneasy or troubled seems to plague many of us in our world today. Life is full of challenges, but worry and anxiety cause discontent in our lives, and they are the opposite of faith and steal our peace and happiness! I have learned over and over that peace and joy can only be found when I allow the power of God to control my life instead of trying to change my circumstances or control my own life.

Blessings and love,
Denise

Floyd said...

Amen. Peace and joy come from within. The lost world and all of us misuse the senses we've been blessed with to attain the peace and joy that the flesh can't provide. Only God can give it and only when He resides within. "Peace I give you." All we need to do is accept it. Thanks, Hazel. May peace reign in all of us from our Father.

Floyd said...

Amen. Peace and joy comes from within. We and the lost world rely to heavily on our senses in search of the peace and joy that it can't conjure up. Only the peace and joy from the Father that resides within us can accomplish that peace... May we all live that peace that is from our Father.