Sunday, January 24, 2016

Press Forward – No Matter What

A Fourth Man Appeared to Protect Them


Our Sunday Morning service at Open Door Church was blessed with a guest speaker, Rodney Waldrop.  I took notes and present his digested sermon.

“Today we will consider two of my favorite Bible Stories.  Do you have a favorite?  Some would say, Daniel and the Lions Den, or Jonah and the whale, but one of my most favorites is the three Hebrew Children thrown into the heated furnace because they refused to bow down to the Kings image of another god.  A fourth person appeared and protected them so they did not burn. 
 
No matter what they faced, they were true to their God.

These stories encourage us to press forward regardless of what we face in life.  How many brought their Bible to church today?  Always bring your Bible because you will need it as you go to war against the enemy of your soul.

The disciples prayed in Acts 4:29  Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus. - -

And with great power they gave person witness of the resurrection.

It is refreshing to be here today and enjoy your worship, for in many churches what they call worship is not really “Worship.”

Have you noticed there are many power words in the Bible?  Some are repeated over and over and it seems like repetition, but it is actually a washing.

Do not fear, Do not be afraid was said often by Jesus.  Be courageous and be bold was not said as often, but it is just as important.

My second favorite story is “The Good Shepherd” portrayed in Psalm 23.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for you are with me.

Many even today are facing death because they will not deny Jesus.  Others are grieving because death has visited their home and taken one of their loved ones.

If Jesus had not risen from the dead, we would still be dead in our sins.

Before we come to God’s house, we need to make time to prepare ourselves to receive.

God has prepared a table for us, but we must come so he can restore our emotions and our thinking to align with His will.

“He guides me to walk in paths of righteousness . . .”

There are things ahead that we may not be ready for - - unless we are prepared.  We hold our breath and finally let out a big sigh.

David was hiding in a cave because King Saul was hunting him to take his life.  The king entered the cave to sleep, while David was in the back observing.  David’s men said, “Here’s your chance to kill the King, but David was righteous and said, “I can’t harm God’s anointed King.”  David was a man after God’s own heart.

God is not just ANY God - - He is MY God, and He is MY Shepherd.

God made me just the way I am, and we need to be satisfied who we are.  God loves you and me just as we are, and He is willing to use us for his service if we are willing to submit to the Holy Spirit.  He takes the unqualified, and qualifies you and me.

“Surely Goodness and Mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.”

We need to believe what God is saying and obey. 

Sometimes when a person is talking to you; your mind is else where and the important message is missed.  This is due to lack of paying attention.  Pay attention to God’s voice and to His Word.

You may know all this and wonder how it applied to you.  Let God re-make you so that you can be used of Him.  What are you afraid of?  The thing we need is to deepen our relationship with God and with one another.  God offers life, love and hope, and He forgives sin.  Our God is bigger than anything, any disease, even cancer.

In the House of God, it is the easiest place to get answers to prayer.  The atmosphere is charged with power as others agree with you.

God’s word is true, so expect miracles, and expect sinners to come to Jesus, expect a radical change in lives.

Can you pray this prayer?  “God use me.  I am not afraid.  Grant me courage and boldness to I step out to obey you. Thank you for anointing me to do your will.”

 

3 comments:

caryjo said...

I'm a heavy worshiper. Thank you for sharing this so nicely and clearly. And I can say, "AMEN!!!"

Saleslady371 said...

I remember one of the first Women's Bible Studies I attended and how the teacher taught for weeks on Psalm 23. To me, it was like finding gold. Your message has a great ending, "Do not be afraid!" It's always comforting.

Unknown said...

Great sermon and prayer! Fear is not of God and our flesh is used against us so easily. Thanks for the reminder, Hazel.