Thursday, December 26, 2013

Pray That I Will Read My Bible More


Read Your Bible - Pray Every Day
courtesy photobucket.com
Aureole was speaking to my husband.  Her words were, “Bob would you pray that I read my Bible more?

“Oh no, I couldn’t do that,” he told her.

She seemed surprised that he would not agree to pray for her to read her Bible, so she asked a good question, “Why Not?”

Carefully he explained, “There are some prayers that you must not pray and that is a prayer to take over the will of the person. 

Reading your Bible is something between you and God and my prayers would not be effective.

Look at it this way, if you failed to read your Bible, you would blame me and say my prayer did not work." 

There are other prayers that we are guilty of, and that is praying that God will save someone. 

Actually God has done all he can do to provide salvation, we cannot force someone to receive Jesus.  They have a free will and are responsible for their own salvation.

The proper prayer to pray is that God will send workers to the person, and that their hard heart will become softened to receive Truth.

We need to approach praying for others with a fresh awareness that we don't have the answers for them but that we know the One who does.

At times we pray for someone to be healed, and the sad fact is that they have damaged their body with obesity, smoking, drinking and even prescription drugs (or the other kind of drugs.) 

Then we are requested to pray that God will repair the destruction they have done to themselves.  Many times when there is true repentance and a change, God will have mercy and bring a miracle.

The prayer, that I might have “Just a closer walk with Thee, grant it Jesus if you please,” is one that the person must do for themselves. 

Perhaps there is unconfessed sin that is blocking their communication with God.  “Is your all on the alter of sacrifice laid?” is a good question. 
 
God has not moved away from the person, and it is the individual who must make that step closer by reading their Bible, and by seeking quality time in prayer.

As the New Year approaches, may we rededicate ourselves to a daily reading of God’s Word.  Two chapters only will take about five minutes.

Would you like for me to pray that you will read your Bible more in the coming year??? 

 

3 comments:

Joy said...

That is an awakening lesson. Thanks for sharing.
I share also my walk with God everyday in my other blog: willyouhearfromme.blogspot.com

Floyd said...

This is a really deep theological post, and well done. I like it when I have to stop and consider new things from a Biblical perspective. "Thy kingdom come Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Excellent post, Hazel. Thank you!

Rachael @ Inking the Heart said...

I really like your approach to prayer here. It helps me to examine the words of my own heart when conversing with the Lord. My prayers will be more effective to the benefit of the person I am praying for after reading your wisdom. Thank you and happy new year!