Sunday, February 7, 2016

Being Like Jesus


 

Pastor Allan was ministering as I took notes and digested his sermon here for you.

“The last few weeks we have been talking about being Christ like.  The scripture in Acts refers to the Believers first being called Christians at Antioch.  They were called little Christs, because they walked like Jesus, acted in His power, and did miracles like Christ.

What is the church today called?  I see some things I don’t like.  Some attend church regularly, but are not following Christ.  When we hang out on the outskirts, following the worldly crowd, we are not following Jesus.  Do others see Christ in you?

I am not saying we are totally there yet, but we need to shed self righteousness and man made rules of other churches. 

We must become programmed to a life style of repentance.  Yes, we come one time to Jesus for salvation, but we must guard our hearts to remain pure.  Every time we are aware of an attitude that should not be there, we must learn to quickly repent.  We are a people being delivered, healed and set free. 

Jesus set the standard of how we should live, in Matthew chapter 5.

2Jesus opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,
3“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

The poor in spirit will live boldly.  The words of Jesus proclaimed Kingdom living.
He put a stop on Religious living and opened up true Relationship with the Father.
He taught us how to pray and gave us the Golden Rule.

 4“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
 5“Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
 6“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
 7“Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
  8“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
  9“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10“Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11“Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12“Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

As we walk down our streets, we see our world is in turmoil.  Our land is spiritually bankrupt.  We see the precious and the vile, devoid of spiritual riches.  We know that Jesus is the answer to every need.  All we need to do is ask.  The only way to the Father is through Jesus.

The Sanhedrin and the Pharisees were rule keepers, but they had no power.  “Religion” can be very binding.  We preach “Relationship,” and there is a difference.  We receive salvation through Christ.  We realize we were a sinner in need of repentance, “REAL genuine repentance, from the cry of our heart.  David cried, “Don’t take the Holy Spirit from me.”  I need you Lord.

Followers of Christ will produce fruit.  Some are listening to the Holy Spirit, but are not acting on it.  I am talking about swimming upstream.  Jesus said, “I want you to be hungry for more.  Those who hunger shall be filled.”  Taste and see.  Not our own righteousness but more of Jesus. 

Lord show me my heart, and remove the stones, rocks and pebbles, and give me a tender heart.  Guard your heart against the World, allowing your heart to remain pure. 

Shun worldly ways, use caution on the inter-net, TV, and worldly entertainment.  When we compromise our integrity, something is shaved off – little by little. 

If you are tempted to get a “hair cut” – then quit walking by the barber shop.  You get my meaning. 

Moral courage is doing the right thing no matter what others around you are doing.  As we purify our heart, our influence will shake our neighbors.  Be a peacemaker and reconcile with those who have made war with you.  Love your neighbor and enjoy peaceful living and not turmoil.

If you have been in church for a few years, we shouldn’t have to spoon feed you.  It is time to grow up and learn to feed yourself by being daily in God’s word.  Take time to commune with Jesus and develop your relationship with Him.  God does not enjoy taking you to the wood shed, so make those corrections before God finds it necessary to chasten you.

You may be criticized, and even talked about, but the opposition will strengthen you.  Be joyful and happy as this is the reward.  Recognize the secret of a fulfilled life in Christ; The more you press in, the more is received.

God gives us chance after chance and leads us to repentance.  You have been delivered so walk free.

The more we strive to become like Christ, we will realize we are NOT like Him, so keep  pressing in.”

 

2 comments:

caryjo said...

When I was a kid and knowing what my parents were like and I became like them [when I was just turning 5]re: terrible words and terrible things going on. I knew that what we were doing was very sinful. I've been very grateful to the Lord since He strongly broke into my life so I could come to Him officially... April 15, 1966 when I was 20 and in 2 more months it will be 50 years as a Christian ... AND what breaks my heart is that in these past several years much of what I was doing and seeing so often in and through our family, and now most of it is accepted by most people. It's a heart-breaker for me. AND many people think that the only reason I feel sorrowful re: these things through family and friends and the world is because I'm an old lady. I focus on the Lord. All I can do!


Unknown said...

What a wonderful post, Hazel. This one spoke to me in a big way. I need to take action with some folks in the forgiveness department... It is my calling, my command, not in legalism, but in the Heart that forgave mine.

Thanks, sister.