Saturday, December 2, 2017

Enjoying a Shabbat Meal in Israel


Enjoying a Shabbat Meal in Israel

  
At our weekly meeting to pray over our city; I shared a short lesson on Intercession by J. N. Manokaran from India.  In August of this year 1000 ministers and leaders from many churches across India met to intercede for their city and for India.  

Brother Manokaran wrote: Abraham interceded for Sodom and Gomorrah even though they were not his cities.  He was concerned because his family lived there and he tried to bargain with God not to destroy the cities.

As we finished our lesson, I shared a story from my visit to Israel and the Friday evening Shabbat meal our Tour Guide arranged for us to enjoy at a traditionalist Jewish home. 

The Shabbat table was elegantly set with a beautiful table cloth, lovely china, and goblets .  The meal was in courses and each serving was meaningful for fellowship, love and family.  Wine (or sparkling drink,) then bread, Matzo ball soup, salmon, side dishes and lastly a lovely desert.  

We were given a booklet about the Shabbat meal stating the history and some interesting facts.  I noted that a Spiritual Song is usually sung without words, but it comes from the heart and is a loving embrace over the family.

I was moved to sing a Spiritual song over this family but fear overtook me because I did not want to embarrass my granddaughter and her married family who sat near me.  I thought perhaps, I could still sing to the family in the kitchen who had so graciously served us - - but I was being whisked away. 

Out in the dark street it was a long walk to once again board our bus to return to our hotel.  For my safety my arm was linked with Laurel my granddaughter’s mother-in-law.  As we walked I began to sing in the spirit, with guttural singing, and a few words in another language.
                                                                              
When I finished the song, Laurel asked, “What was that?”  I told her it was the Shabbat Song from my spirit over this evening.  “That was beautiful,” she replied.

Back to our Praying over our City meeting - - After sharing this story I gave a short message how we can sing over our city and sing our prayers.  I encouraged our people to sing as they pray.  If they are embarrassed to sing here, then sing at home as they pray.

Zephaniah 3:17 reminds us that God is musical - - 
The LORD your God in the midst of you is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over you with joy; he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.

Paul tells us in Ephesians 5:18-19 to…be filled with the Spirit, (by) speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and “SPIRITUAL SONGS,” SINGING and making melody in your heart to the Lord…


So what is a Spiritual Song?  Simply it is a song that comes from Your heart as you listen to the Heart of God.  

Why not begin now to practice singing your prayers?




1 comment:

Saleslady371 said...

I loved hearing about your Shabbat experience. I always want to grow in this experience and now am open to the Lord to sing. Tom and I eat dinner in the dining room every Friday evening at sunset and light the candles of peace and prosperity and take the bread and wine together and give thanks for our week for all that God has done. Then we pray for others and witness miracle answers! I have to add the singing now. I notice when I pray with my prayer language, I end up singing and I'm filled with joy. So thank you for always sharing and teaching!