Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Take That Back Now!

Grandma had recently been moved into a care home, and she was experiencing memory problems. Perhaps I was worried, and was not feeling too well myself.

So when my daughter came for a visit, and she asked me, “How is Grandma doing?”  I heaved a sigh and made an off handed remark, “Well, as things are, I may go before she does.”

My daughter sat up straight, glared at me and shocked me as she said, “Mother, take that back, take that back right now.”

I could tell she was very serious, and I knew I had spoken carelessly. Sheepishly I blurted out, Yes, I take it back, and I take it back right now. Then I made a positive statement, “I shall live and not die!”

She continued to teach me things that I had often said myself; all that the Bible says about life and death are in the power of the tongue, and we should be careful with our words.  As I listened, I knew she was telling me the truth and I was entirely focused on her words.

How often we make casual comments tossing our words carelessly when we actually do not mean what we are saying. Phrases such as: “I am tickled to death!” “You are such an idiot!” Let’s go home to the poor house.” “You will be the ruin of me yet.”

I know that children can be molded by always telling them that they are no good, and that they will never amount to anything. Also saying those same things about ourselves can be damaging to our own flesh and soul.

I understand that children can be encouraged to excel by choosing positive words, such as, “You are so special to me, I am so proud of you, what a good job, and I really like what you have done.” Again, as we think on and repeat with our mouth, the scriptures of what God says about us, it is health to our body and to our spirit.

Reading our Bible, as if God is speaking to ME, reminds us that God loves us unconditionally, and we are special in His sight, and that He desires only good for us.

At times we need to be reminded, to watch our talk, our walk and to be all that God intends us to be. It is a wonderful thing when our own children can be our teacher.

Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both you and your seed may live:

Joshua 1:8-9 This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; but you shall meditate therein day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success. Have not I commanded you? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be dismayed: for the LORD your God is with you where ever you go.

No comments: