Friday, November 27, 2015

Fathers


 
 
What does the word “Father” mean to you?  That was the question our Bible Study teacher asked us as class began.  I took notes and present her digested lesson.

The answers came:  Provider, Safety, Caring.

We understand what an earthly father is, and Jesus revealed the Heavenly Father.

1 Peter 1:14-17   As obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.” 17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in awe - -

The enemy attacks relationships, families and the earthly fathers relating to his children.  Not all fathers are kind and some have been abusive giving out harsh punishment thus leaving bad memories.  Others abandoned their family leaving them to fend for themselves.

God is the perfect Father, and because we are made in His image, He sees us as perfect. His promise is to never leave or forsake us.

Our desire is to become like our Heavenly Father.  God is a good father, but he is a responsible father, not allowing us to get away with sloppy living.  He demands Holy living from us.

Ephesians 3:14-15 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named - -

How do we become children of God?  By faith in Jesus Christ.  To become part of God’s family we go through the Son.

Our teacher told us about a recent encounter with a Chinese woman who shared about the Chinese culture.  Their main Religions are Buddhism, Taoism, Islam and Christianity.

The woman said, the Christian churches are all registered.  She did not know anything about the underground Churches, and declared that all religions are the same.  Our teacher corrected her by saying, “No they are not all the same, for Christianity has a living God.”

Obedient children need to heed the voice of the Holy Spirit.  We need to treat each other as one big family.

We can’t choose our earthly father, but we can choose our Heavenly Father.  Jesus said in John 8:44 that the religious leaders were of their father the devil, and he is a liar and a murderer.  (They became like their father when they killed Jesus.)

Our teacher gave an example of a young Jewish girl forbidden to enter the temple with her father, as boundaries and tradition was in place.  Not understanding, she had sort of a tantrum and shouted, “Abba father, let me go with you.”  We are children of God and we cry Abba Father. 

As Christians, our Father God allows us to enter boldly into His throne room.

When you are a tiny baby, you are cared for by your parents.  As you grow up responsibility continues as parents and teachers instruct us.

At times we need to be re-parented, for when we rebel there will be consequences.  We must come to God submitting as little children.

The Bible is God’s intimate love letter to His children.  He tells us we are wonderfully made and special to Him.  In Christianity there is no partiality, no separation of status: the rich, the poor, servants, male or female, all are equal in God’s sight.

Our Father God loves you so much that he willingly sent His beloved son to die for you so that you might be saved and not perish.  Ask, seek and knock and the door will be opened unto you.  God only has good gifts for you because he loves and cares for you.

3 comments:

caryjo said...

I sure understand!! My personal father, after many years of significant sinfulness, came to the Lord when he was 59 and when I was about 33. He's been a very dangerous man! And he died of cancer just 5 years later and was 65. The Lord had broken strongly into my life and I officially accepted him when I was 20. Anyhow, when driving around or walking in my house or when in bed, I pray and sing and worship and glorify ... and I thank Him as my Heavenly Father. When I'm in heaven I certainly hope to see my former Dad and Mom since they both came to the Lord... BUT I want to see my Heaven Father and all the angels that have protected and turned me to serve the Lord significantly. According to many people, I'll be in Heaven soon. My brain and body and driving and walking and all those things and more things have grabbed many people. SO... hope to see my Heavenly Father soon. Thank you. Sorry to yammer so much, but this grabbed me. Bless you MUCH!!

Diane Ronzino said...

Caryjo, I ditto you heart. I cannot wait to be with my Father as well...Thanks for sharing...sharing MY heart!

Diane Ronzino said...

Hazel, your post...your heart, your wisdom...I always can relate to you. Thank you, Precious Hazel!