Thursday, May 6, 2010

Hidden Things

Usually my small children would accompany me on my frequent trips to the grocery store. On one such occasion, I was stopped by a clerk who informed me that my young daughter was stealing candy! Looking at my little, innocent child, I could detect no evidence of his accusations.

Staring, intently and directly into his eyes, I told him, “I do not understand!”

“She is hiding the candy in her underpants!” he pompously pronounced.

Quickly, I lifted up her tiny dress and sure enough, there was enough candy stashed to feed a little league team! That aside, I must give her credit for creativity in finding a first class place to hide her goods!

Hastily, I apologized as I retrieved all the sweets and returned them to the store employee. How embarrassing! Needless to say my shopping trip, for that day was short lived!

The Bible has quite a lot to say about “Hidden things.”

Early on, Adam and Eve started by hiding themselves in the garden. They hid from the presence of the LORD God, among the trees of the garden, thinking that God would not see them there. How foolish they were!

Joshua 7 Relates how Achan hid some garments, silver, and gold in the earth under his tent, but he was discovered, because God revealed to Joshua the truth.

Isn’t it rather silly to think that we can hide things from God? Nothing is hid from Him with whom we have to do.

Psalms 69:5 O God, you know my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.

The good news is that once we repent of our sins, God remembers them no more. He hides them under the blood of Jesus, and there’s no more condemnation. Now we can run to Him and have fellowship, instead of running away, and hiding, and always waiting for the other shoe to drop!

Our old life is dead (gone) and our new life is hidden in Christ! What an amazing discovery it is to find that God has provided a hiding place for us! We can hide ourselves in God. As David says in the Psalms: The LORD is my rock and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. To hide in God is a great hiding place!

Colossians 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

No comments: