Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Learning by Example

When I was a child growing up, my mother always told me, Hazel, you are the oldest, so you must be an example to the other children.

When I received Jesus as my Savior, she then told me, Hazel others will be watching you to see how you act, and behave, so be a good example for them. Remember you are the Best Christian that someone knows!!

I later learned that I did not need to experience the consequences of walking in the ways of the world. I could learn from the example of others, and steer clear of those things that could harm me, and take the proper path of life.

As we read and study the Bible, we can learn many things by example to help us in our Christian walk; such as what to avoid and who to follow.

Many examples in the Bible are written for our learning experience. They were given for our instruction and to serve as a case in point to show us the best way to live.

Consider these scriptures written by Paul

1Corinthians 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

1 Timothy 4:12 Be an example of the believers, in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Philippians chapter 3: Brethren, join in following my example and observe those who walk according to the pattern you have in us.

And who is our great example? The answer is clear; it is our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus said in John l3:15, For I have given you an example that you should do as I have done to you.

Jesus also said, “If you know these things, blessed are you, if you do them.”

Yes, we certainly can learn from the examples of others, and then we become an example, for good, so that others may learn from us.

No comments: