Sunday, May 9, 2010

Broken Windows

The noise of cracking glass from our neighbor’s window, swiftly summoned my attention to investigate! Just as quickly, the telephone rang!

It was a school holiday, and our children were home and bored. Our son and his uncle of the same age were trying to occupy themselves. It seemed good sport for them to see how far they could use their sling shots to shoot marbles from the back porch! Not thinking of the consequences, they proceeded with their fun and exciting game!

The phone call was from our neighbors, informing us of the incident. Since my husband was also home on this day, he marched both boys to the backyard fence to apologize. He guaranteed the lady that we would pay to replace her window and that the boys would definitely be accountable for it! Our kind neighbor assured us that her insurance would probably cover it, and as long as the boys were sorry, she was satisfied.

I am reminded of times, when I was reckless. As a very young child I once picked up a rake and was going to hit my brother on the head with it as a joke. My mother stopped me in time, and explained what could have happened to my brother, if I had proceeded. Wouldn’t it be lovely, if there was someone to stop us each time we were in the process of doing something foolish?

Isn’t that the way with life? We often do not stop to think of the consequences of our actions! However, with the inward voice of God to guide and assist us, we can avoid ‘broken windows’ in life, and they can be prevented.

As we mature our understanding also improves. We, who are Christians, have the Holy Spirit to turn on His warning lights for us. Because, those signals are often soft, we need to keep our spiritual ears open to hear his voice.

And what is our part? It is up to us to stay tuned-in, to listen, and then to obey. If we neglect to listen, we may end up with a broken promise, or a broken life. The good news is that God’s insurance is available to cover and repair it. Old things can pass away and everything be made new in Jesus.

Revelation 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

No comments: