• 4 ounces breakfast sausage, preferably spicy, remove casings
• (Optional - substitute 4 slices bacon instead of sausage)
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 pound okra, (about 5 cups), sliced
• 3 cups chopped tomatoes, (3-4 medium) (optional use canned tomatoes)
• 2/3 cup tomato juice or water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• Optional - - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper or 1/2 minced jalapeno
1. Cook sausage (or bacon) in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks, until it is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Increase heat to high; add okra, tomatoes, tomato juice (or water), salt and crushed red pepper (or jalapeno) and cook, stirring often, until bubbling. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.