Friday, December 21, 2012

Easy Fruit Cake

Christmas Fruit Cake
courtesy photobucket.com

At our annual Dazzle at our Church, there are crafts, white elephants, and baked goods to purchase.  One of our ladies always makes a delicious fruit cake and I usually buy two of her loaf size treats.

Robert and I slice off a small piece and enjoy it in the late afternoon with a cup of coffee.  Then we ran out of cake.

Regularly I shop at a discount food mart near by, and there I spied a carton of glazed fruit cake mix.  Years ago I had attempted to bake a fruit cake and perhaps it was time to try again.

Usually I go to Cooks.com and search what others have submitted.  Suddenly I discovered what looked like a nice and easy to make recipe.   It called for some rum to soak up the fruit, and I had some rum left over from the time I made: Chocolate Brownies with cranberries!  Click on the name to view.

In comparison, I believe my recipe is as good as, or better than my friend’s cake.

Robert gave his approval and suggested that I bake another one for Christmas.

EASY FRUIT CAKE Adapted from COOKS.COM

2 cups flour
3 eggs
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups brown sugar

6 oz butter
1 cup glazed fruits mixed with 1/2 to 1 cup rum

                                 (or substitude 1/2 cup orange juice)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg

I added more fruit and some nuts!
1/2  cup raisins
1/2  cup dried cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts

Plump raisins and cranberries in hot water. Drain and set aside.

Mix butter and sugar until creamed. Add dry ingredients and mix. Add eggs one at a time mixing after each. Add vanilla and fruit. Mix well. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until done.

Lay wax paper in bottom of two loaf pans, or bake in an angel food pan. 

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s  Food on Fridays 

 

1 comment:

Ann Kroeker said...

Sounds great, Hazel! I think I would love a freshly baked fruitcake like this. Thanks for linking to Food on Fridays.