Thursday, October 8, 2015

Boundaries Set by God


 
Humans want to Explore, Discover and Experience new Things - most are good
 

Our Bible Study at Open Door Church was about trials and our reaction to them.  I took notes: 

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were living in freedom to pretty much do as they pleased.  They would fellowship with God each evening and during the day they could enjoy the beauty of their paradise, and eat from all the trees except one.  God had given them only one rule and that was to avoid two trees.  One tree was the “Knowledge of Good and Evil” and the other was the tree of “Life.” 

Genesis 2:16-17  And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

They had been given “Free Will” and could choose to obey God or go their own way.  At first they were happy to obey God, but then sly cunning words were spoken by their enemy telling them that this tree was to be desired and it would make them wise.  The voice said, “God is preventing you from enjoying something wonderful.  You shall not surely die.”

It was decision making time and Eve listened and looked until the craving for something forbidden was too much, so she yielded,  took some of the fruit and gave to Adam; and they both ate and died.

Adam and Eve did not die physically on that day, but they died spiritually.  They became a sinner in rebellion against God which later on would result in physical death as well.

We live in a fallen world with trials and trouble that happens to mankind.

What is it that we as believers care about?  What are our Godly responsibilities when situations arise outside our control?

The Holy Spirit may use circumstances to bring you to your knees to pray, and to acknowledge God’s will.  There is frustration in the struggle to make correct choices.

Our thought life is vivid and we are tempted to become discouraged and give up.  Recognizing where negative thoughts come from will expose the Father of Lies as the source.  Don’t believe the Lie.  Adam and Eve believed the lie and created our troubles.

God called Jeremiah to be His prophet telling him he was chosen while still in the womb.

Jeremiah 1:4-6  “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”  Then said I: “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I cannot speak, for I am a youth.”

Jeremiah believed the lie he heard in his head that he was not good enough and was only a child.  But God said to go forth and proclaim my word.

The heart of the Father God is only good for you, so if there is anything evil in your life, it is time to repent and turn from it and to receive a new heart.

Jesus continues to call:  Return unto me and I will wash you in the blood of the Lamb, and give you my Righteousness.

Jeremiah 29:11  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

 

2 comments:

caryjo said...

At our church on Sunday this Genesis info was strongly shared. Exactly what you put in. AND, even though Jeremiah wasn't mentioned immediately then, I'm a very strong follower of Jeremiah and truly want to meet him when I'm in heaven. This whole thing made me smile and rejoice. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Jeramiah is 1 of my favorite reads. Hababuk is another. Psalms also but love Jeramiah Ty Sister Hazel and Sister Linda