Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beer Cake




If you looked in my refrigerator you would find a can of Budweiser Beer tucked way in the back.

Don’t get me wrong, and think that we are drunks here at our home. We do use wine for marinating some meats, but we never drink beer or alcoholic beverages.

I was enjoying Sheila’s post at God Spotting with Sheila  about how people can get the wrong impression about others if they jump to conclusions too quickly. Her post reminded me of my can of beer and I share that story with you now!

image courtesy photobucket.com
This can of beer was obtained on one of my “Mystery shopping” excursions, with the thought in mind that I would use it in a recipe for Beer Bread, so I accepted the project. 

My mini-market assignment required me to check the cleanliness of the store, note any finger prints on the glass doors, report on how clean was the bathroom, see if the food, coffee and drink area was clean and fresh, purchase a can of Budweiser Beer, and notice if the cashier asked me for my ID to verify if I was old enough to purchase the beer. 

I was not to reveal that I was a Mystery Shopper!!

The cashier cheerfully asked me, “And how old are you today?” My reply was simple, “Old enough to know better,” then we both laughed. I told her I was going to bake some beer bread, and she asked me to let her know how it turns out.  I must confess I have not gotten around to baking the beer bread as we are not eating much bread lately.  So there it sits in my fridge - - - way in the back.

The cashier forgot to give me a receipt and I needed to ask for one. “Here you go,” she said and “Have a nice day.” Unless I turn in a receipt to prove that I did the shop, I will not get paid. Most shops pay a modest fee plus the reimbursement if you are required to make a purchase.

image courtesy photobucket.com
For the past five years I have been a “Secret or Mystery Shopper.” It is fun at times, and often there is a free lunch - - well almost free. I do need to work for the lunch by writing up a report on the quality of food, and how I was treated by the establishment.

I have Secret shopped at many restaurants including Applebee’s, Denny’s, McDonalds, Burger King to mention a few, and usually there is a small bonus along with the free lunch.

I have also Mystery shopped at Jewelry stores, Banks, Telephone stores, Gas stations, Apartments, Pet supplies, Grocery and Department stores, to list a few so that you get the idea, and our last shop was to receive a free oil change.

NOW that you understand where my can of beer came from - - does anyone know how I can use up my can of beer without ACTUALLY drinking it?

Never mind, I found a simple Beer Cake recipe made with a yellow cake mix, plus 1 small package of instant vanilla pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup oil and 1 cup beer. Optional add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts and 1 tsp cinnamon.  Mix well and Bake 55 minutes in a greased and floured bunt pan at 350 degrees. Let cool 10 minutes and invert and enjoy.

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s Food on Friday- - do visit there and find stories about food and some great recipes!

5 comments:

Just Be Real said...

Enjoyed the story of the beer can and how you are going to put it to good use. Blessings and hugs.

Aritha V. said...

I also enjoy your story! But beer in cake ...

Anonymous said...

I love your mystery shopper stories Hazel. And I would love to try your Beer cake recipe, but unless you have another can of Budweiser in the back of your frig. You'd like to share, I won't be buying one! Haha!
Vicki K

caryjo said...

Don't know how I could put vanilla and beer in the same mix. Have been around beer and wine foods for years and years; just need to be flexible re: the flavors.

Sure you are very good at this.

DO sometimes think I'd be a good Secret Shop Person. Thought about it...

Glad you're doing it.

Sheila said...

Thanks, Hazel!