Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hope Chest


Hope Chest

When I was growing up, we had food, clothing and shelter, but not much of the “extra things. “ Our family lived on a budget, but as children we were happy and well cared for.

As I approached my mid teens, I knew that a “hope chest” was not a budget item, but it did not deter me from beginning to collect little things and keeping them in a box.

My mother taught me how to crochet an edging on pillow cases, and how to embroider. She showed me how to iron on a print that I wanted on my pillow cases, and all the different stitches that would look nice on them.

If I had a hope chest, the hand made quilt that my mother gave me would have gone into it.

Fast forward 20 years  - - and our daughter Becky and our foster daughter Nancy were about to graduate from High School.

Nancy had lived with us for five years, and she was and is still a part of our family. I wanted these girls to each have a nice hope chest, for their graduation gift, so off we went down town to the Furniture store.

There we viewed some Lane cedar lined Hope Chests that were in our price range. Oh how nice that cedar smelled. Each girl selected the chest that they liked best, and I paid for them, and made arrangements for delivery.

When the chests arrived at our home they were placed at the foot of each of their beds, and items that they had been saving were placed inside.

Both girls were “Hoping and a Praying” for a good Christian man to go with each hope chest. In time, those prayers were answered, but not without delays and stories to tell.

The Bible tells us to put our Hope is in Jesus Christ, for He is to be our spiritual Bridegroom.

We look forward to that day of the Marriage supper of the Lamb.

Matthew 25:6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.


Titus 2:13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ;


Ephesians 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints

Linking up with Tracy at Winsome Wednesday
And with Jennifer at: God-Bumps and God-Incidences

10 comments:

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

What a beautiful post! I inherited my grandmother's hope chest and it is treasured in our home.

Anonymous said...

"I really liked that chest. It was stolen in our move to where we now live." Love, Nancy K

a joyful noise said...

So sorry, I hope who ever has it will sense the spirit of the Lord from it. :-)

Anonymous said...

"That's okay....I used it thoroughly and enjoyed it. Thanks for your investment in us!" Love, Nancy K

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy - lovely post. So glad you linked up with it so others can read this. Love seeing you there.
God bless
Tracy

Floyd said...

I love the family stories. The "hope" is our confidence in what is to come by the hand of God. The world hopes like a wish. We hope like a patiently waiting. That's sad Nancy's was stolen, but the hope is still in God and the love of a mother...

momto8 said...

I have my hope chest at the foot of our bed! now it is full of all my kids treasures i am saving...

Wolfsrosebud said...

My Mama had one like this..

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

This is a beautiful gesture from a mother. And Hazel, I can't help but notice how gracious and Christ-focused you are, here in the comment box too, with regard to the stolen hope chest. You radiate Jesus' love.

caryjo said...

Sometimes that's one thing I think of that would have been a blessing. For some time, while traveling back and forth from the Northwest and the St. Louis area, I had a trunk. It wasn't fancy, wasn't even lovely, but it sure was what I needed. Sometimes wish I had it, if for no other reason than the piles of memory attached to it. Lovely post.