Friday, February 17, 2012

Spaghetti Dinner



image courtesy photobucket.com

The telephone rang and pulled me away from my computer. It was my daughter who wanted to know if it was too late to add another ticket for tonight to the annual spaghetti dinner at my church. My granddaughter Ashley’s boyfriend was in town this week-end and he would very much like to attend with us. I told Becky I would call her back after I found out for sure.

Our town has events that are attended by sometimes large crowds. Tonight would be one of those occasions. There were times when the tickets had been sold out and I hoped that this was not the case for tonight. I called one of our ladies and she assured me that they would set another place at our table. One year a chef from a local restaurant made the sauce, and I was hoping this year the spaghetti dinner would be another hit.

When our children were growing up, I fixed home made spaghetti at least once a week. I browned half a pound of hamburger with my onions and drained the grease. Another thing I added that was unusual was a small can of whole kernel corn to the sauce. I know that sounds crazy, but my family loved it. The idea of the corn came from a recipe in a free cook book that I received when we purchased our marriage license for two dollars many long years ago.

Looking through my files, I could not find my spaghetti recipe so a quick look on the internet revealed one that was very close to mine. This one is simple and easy.

HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI/PASTA SAUCE

Ingredients

• 1 chopped onion
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (pulse in the blender if they are whole tomatoes)
• 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
• 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
• Add enough water to Fill the tomato paste can
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 2 tablespoons red wine or apple cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Italian dry seasoning
• 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes -(optional 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper or dash of Tabasco)

Directions

In a large skillet gently brown the onion with the olive oil, add the crushed garlic and brown gently. Combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, garlic, sugar, vinegar, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir all together and simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes (for the best flavor). Stir frequently with a wooden spoon to prevent burning.  Metal spoons can leave a taste of metal in your sauce and you don't want that.  I like to add hamburger to my sauce but that is optional.

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays
Do hop on over to her site and gather up some delicious and nutritious recipes.
Anything about food is welcome if you would like to enter her blog hop.

6 comments:

floyd said...

This is one I got dialed in! My wife is full blooded Italian. I get homemade ravioli, spaghetti, pizza, and spedini's on Sundays. On Christmas and Thanksgiving? Fug-get-about-it! ... No wonder I need to lose a few lbs....

You really hit the touched hearts this week... Mine was one of them... Thank you my friend...

Nikki (Sarah) said...

my youngest loves spaghetti and I'm not the best cook but I might give your recipe a try. thanks for posting it.

agreenearth said...

Hope you had a wonderful spaghetti dinner.

Dave Lord said...

Corn in the sauce sounds appetizing! Great recipe; it will be tried.
Dave Lord

Ann Kroeker said...

Yum! I like the unusual combination, Hazel, and the story that pulls together past and present.

caryjo said...

Your spgti recipe is a bit different than what I've done for years. I'll have to try the Tabasco and Red Wine. Sounds nice and flavorful.

Sorry if I'm so late on this, but am finally reading posts for a few hours today, and beginning with yours. Must have missed this one.