Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Dreaming of Being a Missionary



A Heart for Missions
courtesy photobucket.com
 
In this world there are several things that I have desired to be. 

One desire was to be a missionary, so God gave me a missionary heart, to love missions and missionaries.  We cannot go, so we help our friends to go. 

The Bible tells us that those who send out the missionaries will receive the same reward as the missionaries who venture forth.   

Lady Evangelist Joyce Meyer
courtesy photobucket.com
The other was to become a Pastor of a church, but instead, God gave me a blog where I share stories.  After all that is what Jesus did, he shared stories that had a message to teach us how to live. 

At some of the places Robert and I have ministered, we have done the work of a Pastor, and not always with the name pastor.

I remember many years ago, after a stirring missionary service at our church, a young mother told our Pastor, “I believe God is calling me to be a missionary.”
The Pastor looked at the woman with her brood of six children, and remarked, "Lady, God has called you to a mission field of six sweet children, don't let God or them down, but nurture those children and teach them to love Jesus.  You can be a missionary to your children and to your family by your example and your words."

The woman was satisfied with his answer, and I shall always remember it.

We may be called at times to a mission trip or to longer stay, but usually God is giving you and me a missionary heart to work for him where he has planted us.

Our calling may not seem important to us at times, but it is a daily walk of listening and doing as The Holy Spirit instructs us to do. 

Don’t get me wrong - - it is always good to dream big!!


My comment policy has changed. 
Please let me know by e-mail if you have trouble commenting.
  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And we are blessed...by you!
Love, Vicki K

Anne said...

It is good to dream big and being a missionary is a big step for anyone. You inspire me. More power to you!

Diane Ronzino said...

Wow, Hazel, we have so much in common!

About 10 years ago, I went to a lecture given by Elisabeth Elliot. Beforehand, she was going to be signing books. So, I stood in line. I got to her personally thank her - for it was through her and Jim's story that God planted missions in my heart.

Thanks for sharing another part of your incredible soul with us!

Floyd said...

Good point, Hazel. God has a mission for all of us. It doesn't always have to involve traveling far. In fact, how much different would our neighborhoods look like if we all treated it like it was a mission field?

Floyd said...

Great point, Hazel. In fact, God has called all of us to our own specific mission and it doesn't always involve a lot of travel. I wonder what our neighborhoods would look like if we all treated it like it was our mission field?

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

This is a lovely post, Hazel and so true! God calls us all in different ways, and even when we don't think we are missionaries, so many of us really are. I believe that while some people are meant to go off on missions far away, God may place some of us in mission fields much closer to home!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.