Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hamburger Our Helper!

Times were hard in the mid 1950’s and work was sporadic at best. Our children were growing kids, and when it was time to go grocery shopping, hamburger was always high on my list. A butcher shop near our home offered hamburger at five pounds for a dollar, and I could make that stretch for several days.

Our weekly menu included meatloaf one night, spaghetti the next, hamburger gravy over rice, meatballs-in-gravy with potatoes, and every Saturday we enjoyed tacos. On Sunday, fried chicken excited our taste buds, or a small, but juicy roast, graced the table. Any left-over beef made a pleasing stew! For variety, pickled pork made an appearance now and then, but mostly, we took pleasure in Hamburger as the dinner “helper” for our family.

I did not buy the packaged or boxed foods, because they were too expensive and not as good as homemade. The exception was Betty Crocker cake mix because it was a never-fail cake as long as you watched your oven. Homemade cookies were baked on the weekend and went into the school lunch boxes.

Over all, I would say we made out pretty well, and the day came when we could afford other than hamburger five times a week. I still call hamburger “My helper.” because it helped get us by through all those lean years.

As life goes, people worry and stress about many things. Some say, “God helps those who help themselves”, and they try to do everything on their own.

The Bible tells us that God is our HELPER. When Jesus was about to return to heaven, he told his friends, that he would not leave them comfortless, but that he would send another Helper, the Comforter, to be with them and IN them.

The Lord God wants to be your constant Helper.

Call upon Him.

He will guide you, lead you, and let you know the best way to accomplish what you need to do.

Psalms 54:4 Behold, God is my helper . . .

Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeP8R68p8uo

No comments: