Tuesday, July 13, 2010

NO FREE LUNCH

Free Stuff! I am a big sucker for all stuff free! I should have known better - - - but when I noticed an offer on Face Book for a “Free Subway Sandwich,” I innocently took the bait!

Eagerly, I filled out all the information until I got to the part where I needed to make a purchase. These were just a couple of offers that seemed like they might be interesting.

Headlong, I plunged into the abyss!

Now I am fully away that the offers for $500 to spend at Target or some other store were a come-on! Yes, a SCAM! However, I had not suspected a small free sandwich.

Quickly, I tried to back out, to escape, to get out of there, to cancel, and to repair any damage done, but I was locked in! Too Late - - -

Looks like the Devil ate my lunch !!

NO free sandwich today for me!

That is not the end of the story!

The very next day my e-mail In-Box brimmed with forty e-mails, asking me to earn income, to take courses for job training! They wanted me to learn to be this or that! I received offers to buy engagement rings, apply for bankruptcy, meet singles, get a high school diploma etc., and the list went on and on.

At first, I opened each one and requested at the bottom to remove my name. I don’t believe that worked, as evidenced the next day in my overflowing In-Box.

This was out of control; eighty new spam messages filled my in box!

Horrible! I couldn’t believe it!

Using “Block mail” has never worked for me, because the senders simply change to a different name. What does work is using the method provided by my e-mail server where you can “bounce” unwanted mail. Using this tool causes the message to go back to the sender with a notice that says, “Undelivered mail, recipient unknown.” I can bounce groups, so I now gleefully bounce and bounce and bounce!

Each day for the past 10 days, I have been bouncing groups of forty to eighty e-mails. Hopefully the advertisers will get the message soon!

From heartache to pure havoc, people get themselves into all sorts of predicaments. How do we get into these types of messes?

“Without knowledge my people perish,” the Bible says!

Well, I have some knowledge now, and when this is finally over, I hope I will never need to repeat this again!

Now YOU also have knowledge, so please learn from my mistake, and proceed with caution if you are ever offered a FREE LUNCH!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have done this myself too Hazel! What a mess...no free lunch, no free...it all costs!

Smart Car said...

Love your blog! Granny told me about you!