Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Little Girl Lost

When my children were growing up, I took them with me everywhere. They went with me to church, to bridal and baby showers, to parties, and of course they accompanied me every time that I went shopping.

One day my schedule included the picking up of a catalog order at the local Montgomery Wards store. The catalog department was on the walk in floor and the main store was up on the second floor. This basement floor had a bargain room, and also housed the children’s clothing department.

I was busy looking through the clothing items on sale, when a voice over the loud speaker boomed out. “We have a little lost girl named Judie who is looking for her mother.” The voice continued, “You can find her in the upstairs furniture department.”

Puzzled as to how she managed to escape from me, and wind up on the second floor was a total mystery. Then as I pondered this feat, I realized she must have stepped on the escalator which would take her up stairs; and being a child, she did not understand how to make the return trip. The down escalator is always a half circle away and around an aisle and adults can effortlessly find it, but not easily considered by a child.

Making a quick trip up the escalator, my little lost girl was promptly found!

Sticking close to her Mother would have solved the lost girls problem, but my child was, and still is adventurous. 

No lasting harm was done, and in this case, both of us were happy and delighted to see each other again.

I was reminded when Jesus told the story of a gone astray lamb and how the good shepherd would gladly leave the ninety and nine sheep to search for the lost lamb. The tiny animal was crying and sadly tangled in a thicket, and was suffering cuts and bruises. The shepherd hastened to rescue the lamb and tenderly carried it back to the safety of the fold. There he lovingly applied oil, and gently and with compassion tended to the wounds. Safe in the arms of Jesus our Good Shepherd is the best place to be.

In this life, we often take the interesting and inviting stair way that leads to a lost condition. Perhaps turning on and listening to the loud speaker to heaven that we carry with us is a good thing to do. Just click the internal button and have a word with the Lord.

The word is, “HELP ME, I AM LOST, SAVE ME.”

Never fear, Jesus, the Good Shepherd knows where you are and He will answer your cry!  He is seeking and He will find you.

Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.

John 6:37 All that the Father gives to me shall come to me; and him that comes to me I will in no wise cast out.

No comments: