Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Shiny Faces

As I drove into work each day, I would listen to a Christian tape and fill my spirit with praise. Then when I walked from the parking lot to my work place, I would pray for my family naming each one and ask the Lord to protect and bless them that day.

By the time I entered the building, my heart was glad and I knew it was the day that the Lord had made, and that I should rejoice and be glad.

One day at my job, one of the girls called loudly to me from across the room, “Hazel, what do you put on your face to make it shine?

This girl had a Jewish Grandmother, but the girl herself told me that she did not practice religion of any kind.

Not wanting to shout back and forth, I went to her cubical and stood there. She asked me again, “What causes your face shine?”

Not wanting to call attention to my self, I faced her, and quietly said, “It is Jesus inside me that shines out.”

The girl across from her called out, “What did she say?” I turned and repeated, “It is Jesus.” The second girl was a Christian, so I am sure she understood.

Then I went back to my desk and began to work.

Another day, the Jewish girl told me, you have something and I want it, but she was not ready to accept the fact that it was Jesus that made me happy and gave me peace.

When I retired and left my job, I gave this girl a video tape by Joyce Meyer explaining how to be born again. I told her to view it with her teen age children and to keep an open mind and heart.

I do not know the outcome of those encounters, but I can trust the Lord to speak when I cannot.

My daughter Judie was visiting and I told her about this incident and the shiny face.  She knew exactly what I was talking about.  Judie had been in the Air Force stationed in South Korea for a year, and the Koreans would always remark to her about her shiny face.

When I look in the mirror, I do not see a shiny face, but as you spend time with God, listening to his word, reading his word, and praying perhaps even interceding for others, the Holy Spirit will light up inside you and it may show up in your face. 

Show them the light by your smile, so others will see Jesus as they look at you.

The Bible tells us that we are to be a light unto the world, and that a city that sits on a hill cannot be hid.

Exodus 34:33-35 And until Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face. But when Moses went in before the LORD to speak with him, he took the veil off, until he came out. And he came out, and spoke unto the children of Israel that which he was commanded. And the children of Israel saw the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face shone: and Moses put the veil upon his face again, until he went in to speak with him.

No comments: