Wednesday, August 28, 2013

China Dishes from Japan



Courtesy Google Search
My brother Allen enlisted in the Navy several years after World War II, and his ship made ocean voyages back and forth to Japan.

One day he asked me if I would like a set of China dishes, as he could secure a nice set in Japan for a reasonable price. 
 
My dishes were an ugly Melmac, and a set of china for company would be very nice, so I gave him some money and explained my preference.

“I would like a simple pattern, with a gold or silver trim.”  Perhaps I should have drawn a picture.

Before too long, my brother returned with a full set of china dishes for me.  There was service for 12, including large soup bowls and smaller desert dishes.  Also there were several serving bowls, a gravy boat, a covered serving dish, two sizes of platters, butter dish, sugar and creamer, and a tall tea pot.

You would have thought I should be happy with my new set?  But truthfully the set was far from simple.  It was bold orange and gold with large Japanese designs covering the entire plates. 

Rather than show my disappointment, I thanked my brother for all his trouble and told him, “This is great.”  (And it was in a sense ;) so much, and so different, and so nice too.

My husband told me to enjoy it for what it was - - all the way from Japan - - something unusual, and ornate and it would be a conversation piece each time we used it.

I changed my attitude and decided to love my new china dishes.  Those beautiful dishes were used for many years, until our daughter was stationed in Korea.  While there she was able to secure for me a set of white china with a silver trim. 

Now that set of White China dishes is stored in our shed, but that is a different story.

One day, our church had a yard sale, and I decided to donate my orange ornate dishes.  I stipulated to first give the newly wed Mexican couple first choice.  If she liked them they were free to her. 

The bride was ecstatic with joy.  She loved the design and how many of every thing there was.  Apparently orange was her favorite color.

All my life I was taught to, “Make do,” and these orange dishes were NO exception. However I made an adjustment in my attitude and learned to enjoy them.

The secret is learning to be content and happy with what you have regardless.

1 Timothy  6:6  But Godliness with contentment is great gain.

Discover Jennifer Dukes Lee’s community at Tell His Story

Also shared with Gail at T.G.I.F.and Bible Love notes

 

6 comments:

TC Avey said...

Excellent story of being of how our attitudes can really change everything.

Thanks for sharing.

Dolly@Soulstops said...

Hi Hazel,
You are so right: "learning to be content and happy with what you have regardless" is a valuable lesson. Blessings to you...thanks for visiting my blog :)

Floyd said...

I love the fact that you acknowledged your free will, "I decided to love the new dishes." It really is that simple... I'm blown away at how far ahead of your time you were. Wisdom has been your life long companion. Great story!

Michael Holmes said...

Awesome! I love the contentment and generosity in this piece. Well said Hazel!

Sharon said...

What a great story, Hazel. And I just love the lesson in it. Sometimes a change of attitude is the only thing separating us from a wealth of gratitude!

Glad the dishes continued on - and that they will bring joy to another family. Love your generosity!

GOD BLESS!

Betty Jo said...

What a wonderful story Hazel! I too love the fact that you decided mind over matter, and decided to be content. I love too that the other lady found your dishes so beautiful. An awesome lesson for us all. I just posted to your Tell Me A True Story. My story is part true, part fiction, and some biographical truth in the fiction. But, if it doesn't meet your criteria, please feel free to remove it. Blessings!