Monday, April 19, 2010

Senior Moments

For most shopping trips, my husband usually does the driving. His shoulder had been bothering him, so I was elected to take the wheel on one recent outing

Just a simple trip to Wal-Mart and then a stop at the grocery store for a few items and that was about it. My husband was thinking about the important things: food and more food! He suggested that we get a burger because they were still on special at the local fast-food.

Now you must understand that when I am the driver, although my husband occupies the front seat, he is the “Back seat driver.”

“Pull in here, there is a good parking place right in front, watch it!” along with other remarks, were some of my driving instructions.

I must admit to feeling a little frazzled, but we hopped out of the car and entered the restaurant. I was looking forward to the break!

All too soon our pleasant opportunity to relax and enjoy our food disappeared and it was time to leave. I reached in my purse for my car keys. They were not in the usual place! Oh-oh! Searching diligently through my entire purse, I came up empty handed.

“Could it be that they are still in the car?” I queried my husband.

A bit frantic, we both exited the restaurant and opened the car door. There they were still in the ignition. My husband settled into his seat and put on his seat belt. Well, that was a relief!

A little embarrassed, I reached for the keys and turned on the ignition. A loud ‘sca-reech!’ resounded!

“Your motor is already running!” my husband remarked to me.

Now, I was really embarrassed, yet, at the same time, thankfully relieved that no one had stolen our still running car.

My hubby was calm and he said, “Okay, let’s go home now!”

That very moment I took time to thank the Lord for sending his angels to guard my poor neglected and un-cared-for car.

Now-a-days it seems “Senior moments” happen more often, especially when I am anxious. My husband’s answer, “Just make sure that, ‘Senior Moments’ do not become a life style.” I’m working on it!

I am reminded that God is always watching out for us and that His mercies are new every morning.

Psalms 103:2 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits:

You may enjoy this book about teaching children to be thankful:
Growing Grateful Kids: Teaching Them to Appreciate an Extraordinary God in Ordinary Places (Hearts at Home Books) by Susie Larson

No comments: