Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clean Straw

There’s just something about a Blue Tick Hound Dog that my husband loves! I think it must be that baying bawl that they let out when they have a varmint “treed”. It is definitely not for their odor, as the Blue Tick unquestionably, has a distinct, pungent aroma.

We have an area in our home with a specific rug where we allow our hound dogs to share some quality time with us. At the close of the evening they are sent to their boxes which had been neatly lined with straw to help keep them warm.

One morning, my husband reached his toleration level for our pooches’ lovely smell. That was it! Time for baths! Since he was on his way out, he passed that task on to me. Wonderful!

Shower ‘n suds - scrub-a-dub-dub! In rotation, I led each hound into the shower, me in a swim suit trying to hold them still and then suds, scrubbing and rubbing until they glistened! Two hours later - - - they looked good enough for a dog show!

With that chore behind me, I hurried around the house to catch on some other things. My husband was extremely pleased when he arrived home that evening. As for me, I was ready for an early bedtime.

The next morning, our babies greeted us eagerly! Phew! What was that smell? Each dog reeked! There was that unmistakable hound-dog odor again!

Oops! I had forgotten one minor detail! I neglected to change the old straw in their boxes! How could I forget that? The dogs had wallowed in it all night, undoing all my hard work! They stunk!

Isn’t that often the way it is with a new Christian? He is born-again and cleaned up as he kneels at Jesus feet, but because of a lack of knowledge or desire, he doesn’t make the changes necessary to keep smelling like a newborn. Instead, he returns to his “old bed of straw” – those worldly habits that make him stink!

The Bible speaks about those who turn back to their old ways and referrers to them in rather descriptive language.

2 Peter 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Let us, as mature Christians, make it a practice to begin each day to start out brand new, ourselves. If our “straw” has become affected by the world, we have the knowledge that we can always exchange it for God’s fresh touch. No need to smell anything but sweet in His presence.

No comments: