Friday, June 25, 2010

Old Fashioned Stilts for Walking

One day our parents took our family to see the circus. These thrilling and daring acts gave my sister and me dreams of being a trapeze artist, or other such glamorous artistic portrayals of an exciting life style. Even the clowns were fun to watch as they performed, and they made us all laugh. I was intrigued by the extremely tall clowns who walked so strangely. My Dad informed me, “The clowns are wearing stilts under their costumes.”

I thought to myself, “Stilts, yes that would be something that I could use for our neighbor- hood plays that we put on for the kids to enjoy.”

“Daddy, would you buy me some stilts please?” I begged my father.

His answer was that he could make me some, just as good as, and probably better than the store bought variety. He was also concerned for safety and did not want me using the strap on variety because he knew the type with poles would be the best for my control.

Dad fashioned two 2x2x55 inch boards and strongly attached a foot rest about 2 feet off the ground on each stilt. It didn’t take him long to finish, and I was ready to test them.

My father suggested that I begin by leaning against the wall of our house and then step up on the stilts. He demonstrated how to safely position the poles behind my arms, and how to place my hands. I was ready to try a few steps. He assured me that this would take some practice, but he guaranteed that I could learn to do this in a very short time.

It was easy, and it didn’t take me long to master walking on this contraption. It was fun and I could quickly jump off, if the need arose. These stilts brought much enjoyment and a sense of pride and accomplishment to me as I walked with them.

Always wanting a challenge, and not being content to use the stilts properly, I would reverse the stilts so that the foot rests were on the outside. Naturally this caused the walking to be more difficult, and the result was frequently skinned knees and elbows.

There is another walk that is a Spiritual walk with God. As believers we are not to walk as the world saunters along, but as God would have us to walk, cautiously with awareness, and frequently with boldness and aggression.

Sometimes, we test our comfort zone by putting our shoes on the wrong feet, or twisting the path to a more demanding zone. Often hardships in life can be avoided if we would stop and listen to the plan, then obey first instead of running ahead and repenting later.

Our Father’s training manual gives gentle and simple instructions for walking. As we study His Word and pay attention, it will prevent us from skinned knees and elbows (so to speak.) God has also provided us with a built in CD that plays in our spirit. It is called the Holy Spirit. Daily, even moment by moment, guidance is there for our safety and our closer walk with Jesus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrM1aWtYpys

Galatians 5:16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.

No comments: