Friday, November 5, 2010

Aprons by Hazel

Aprons by Hazel was submitted to Food On Fridays.

There they hung on a hook behind the free standing stove in our large family kitchen. Home made aprons.

My mother sewed and made most of our clothing. One item she made for both my sister and me were aprons; and she wore one herself as she cooked.

For each meal, we slipped our apron over our head and enjoyed our eating as we kept our dresses clean. Our wardrobe was limited and it was simpler to launder an apron than it was to wash and iron our dresses.
I can remember back in sewing class in High School, one of the first items we made was an apron.

I don't wear aprons much anymore, and I have one tucked away somewhere. It would probably be a good idea for me to get it out and use it especially when I bake!!

My daughter tells me that her granddaughters, and even her grandsons, know what an apron is for. She informs me that they love to use them especially when baking or cooking. The children love to assist and the aprons keep their clothes clean as they help.

Although the myriad of uses have dwindled, aprons are still a needed item in our home! I will slip on my apron as I create my famous Date Nut Cake.

Submitted on Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
Check out the many great recipes recorded there: fof

Best Date Nut Cake

2 cups sugar, ½ tsp salt, 3 T Cocoa, 1 tsp Cinnamon, 1 cup real whole egg mayonnaise, 1 cup chopped walnuts, 1 cup chopped dates or raisins, 1 tsp soda, 1 cup boiling water, 2 cups sifted flour.

Mix first 4 ingredients into a bowl. Add mayo and blend. Add soda to boiling water. Pour over nuts and dates and let stand a few minutes. Add to the mayo mixture. Gradually add the sifted flour and mix well. Bake in 12x8x2 glass pan at 350 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes. This cake is a collectors item.

1 comment:

Ann Kroeker said...

I have a violet gingham apron my grandmother made by hand and finished it off with a cross-stitched pattern sewn into the squares. I should wear it more often, Hazel. It would make me feel even more connected to her, and I miss her so much, even after 20 years.