Monday, November 29, 2010

Fellowship Vs Relationship

Many of our family members (and close friends) have moved to other States, or are too far away for regular visits.

We have a relationship because we are related as family, but our fellowship is limited to phone calls, e-mail and an occasional letter or greeting card. Often we fellowship on special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, Holidays, at re-unions, at weddings and - - at funerals.

Let us think a moment about our fellowship with our God. To begin with, not all persons are relatives of God, but to become a child of God, we must be born into God’s family. This can be brought about by believing on Jesus and receiving Him as our Lord and Savior. Now we have become a child of God.

Now we are related to God by the New Birth. Next will come Fellowship with God.

When we enter into God’s family, our fellowship with Him can and should be a continual walk and talk. We are not restricted to a set time to speak with our Lord. We do not need to kneel in a certain place, or light candles, or lift our voice in lofty tones, but our fellowship with Jesus is so sweet that we may talk to him all the time and any time, as we would to any other friend.

I am reminded of the old Gospel Hymn that goes like this:

1. What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

o Refrain:
Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

2. Oh, how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
Oh, how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

3. What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Oh what fellowship, Oh what joy divine, leaning on the everlasting arms.

This Post has been entered in "One Word at a Time Carnival" at:  http://www.bridgetchumbley.com/
Please check out her site for other entries, each is unique in its presentation.

11 comments:

Marie said...

There is great JOY in fellowship and i love how we can lean on the everlasting Arms of God....gosh I love that song!! I've always felt secure in hugs and leaning in like that and is it any wonder? God our wonderful Father WANTS us to lean on him. We don't have to go through things alone.

{{HUGS}}
@spreadingJOY

Beth said...

All of what you have said is true. I think one of the biggest hurtles I had to jump over is that I can talk to God anytime and fellowship with him without setting a formal time aside.
I do need the daily devotional time: if I don't set that, I end up neglecting it.
Some of the best times has been when I've done something ditsy like start the blender without it screwed in properly. Instead of getting mad and cussing, I'd laugh and say, "Well, that was kind of silly, huh, God?!" Then praise Him for my change in attitude.
The hymn you quoted is one of my top favorites in a huge list. My minister dad loved this one and some of my best memories are of him booming this out from the pulpit on a Sunday or Wednesday evening!
Sometimes I'll just start singing it in the car if I'm a little depressed.

Anonymous said...

Yes! We are abiding in the Vine, constant fellowship with Him. Such a wonderful thing to meditate on. Thank you!

caryjo said...

Love that hymn! One fun part of this carnival is that I've seen a number of hymns connected to fellowship. How fun!

And, as I've commented on others, I'm looking forward to the heavenly fellowship... no "busyness", or misunderstandings, or any other "natural" issues that cause our relationships to struggle for a time. That will be a blessing beyond our greatest spiritual imagination.

Glynn said...

The fellowship we have with each other begins and ends in the fellowship we have with and in Christ. We can have friendship; we can have acquaintances. But it's only in Christ that we can have fellowship. Good post.

lynnmosher said...

Ah, yes! That sweet fellowship with the Lord. Oh, what joy divine! Great post!

Mari-Anna Frangén Stålnacke said...

Now I got that great hymn in my head for the day! ;) Thank you for reminding me of God's everlasting arms! God bless you!

Rich Dixon said...

Definitely true that "being related" isn't a substitute for intimate, ongoing relationship. Great image.

Anonymous said...

some very good points here.
nice to meet you, and thanks for the comment at my blog.

Anne Lang Bundy said...

I'd forgotten about the word "fellowship" in this hymn. I'll never think about it the same way now.

G. HUBBARD said...

one truly greatful noise is that of the lord answering your questions about your life concerns. he is there 24-7-265 he is the lord ourv free SPREAD THE WORD TALK WITH THE LORD program inspires this. our inspirational song lyrics free jyst ask g.hubbard p.o. box 2232 ponte vedra fl 32004 http://talkwiththelord.blogspot.com/