Friday, November 12, 2010

Turkey Day? – NOT!

I hate it when I hear someone say, Turkey Day, instead of giving the day its’ proper name, Thanks Giving Day!

Thanksgiving is the day we bake our turkey, or goose, or chicken and give thanks to God for all our bountiful blessings. We call into remembrance all the goodness of God to us and to our families.

As we go around the table allowing each person to declare what they are thankful for, it warms my heart to realize that I am thankful for my family and for those we hold dear.

Some would say, I am glad for my home, or my clothes, or my car, my computer, or other possessions, but all this would pale in the light of being grateful for our loved ones.

Thanksgiving Day, is only one day out of the year, and truly we should find something everyday to be thankful for. This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!!

All this reminds me that I am mostly thankful to God, for sending His Son Jesus to be our redeemer so that we might inherit eternal life.

Thanksgiving is only a few days away, and after our turkey has been baked, and we have all fellowshipped together and enjoyed the day; if there is any turkey left over, here is my amazing recipe for Turkey Enchiladas.

Swiss Turkey Enchiladas

Set aside 1 dozen soft flour tortillas, to be fried in hot oil, first skillet

In large second skillet or large pan, warm until room temperature
6 bouillon cubes dissolved in 3 cups light cream. (I use 1 can evaporated milk and the balance sweet milk.)

In another separate skillet number 3,
Sauté 1 chopped onion in 2 tsp oil.
Add 1 clove garlic crushed.
2 cans tomato puree, Salt and pepper to taste.
One 4 oz can diced green chilies
2 cups chopped cooked turkey and simmer 10 minutes. Divide into 12 portions.

Fry each tortilla in hot oil, then dip it into the milk mixture, and place it on a plate.
Put 1/12 of the turkey mixture into the tortilla, roll it up and place into a baking dish.
We use two baking dishes with six enchiladas in each dish.
Pour the rest of the milk mixture over the rolled tortillas.
Top with 1/2 pound of grated Jack cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. If there is any is left over seal in zip lock bags and freeze.

This article has been entered on Food on Fridays at http://annkroeker.com/
and also entered on: Pot Luck Friday at:  http://www.ekatskitchen.com/ check out some great recipes on both sites.
fof

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hazel, I want to thank you so much for joining Friday Potluck this week! I do hope that you'll be back each week with your lovely recipes. :)

I can't agree with you more on remembering what this holiday is all about. This year I'm so thankful that my husband is home safe and sound from Afghanistan and feel blessed that my whole family is made up of some truly wonderful people!

I'm also excited to make my very own Thanksgiving dinner for the first time ever... wish me luck -- what a great recipe you've posted for using some of what will be massive leftovers! :)