Friday, March 9, 2012

Dog Treats Home Made


Photo by Robert
Our three dogs love these homemade treats that are also healthy for them.

I shop at least once a week at a small discount grocery store near us, and was able to pick up a good supply of canned pumpkin at half price. Another day they had a five pound bag of whole wheat flour that I needed for these great treats.

Like I usually do, I tweaked the recipe and added a couple things that I knew my doggies would like such as a large tablespoon of creamy peanut butter. The dough was thin, so I also added one half cup of quick oats.

It is almost like having six dogs when I take these treats to the cyclone fence between our neighbors and us. All six of them line up for their turn. One of our puppies Old Smokey can hardly wait and almost wants to bite my fingers. Luke our youngest Black Lab is a dainty pup and I break his treat in two. Old Buck shakes with delight as he waits his turn.

If you have dogs, do try this recipe and your animals will rise up and call you blessed.

Doggie Pumpkin cookie treats

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons applesauce or shredded apple
2 eggs
1 small can pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup hot water
1 heaping tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease cookie sheets. In a large bowl mix the peanut butter with the hot water, add the oats and mix well. Combine all the other ingredients adding the flour last and mix until thoroughly incorporated. If you don’t want to bake them all now, roll half the dough into a log shape and wrap with handy wrap and refrigerate.

Drop the dough onto a greased cookie sheet using a teaspoon, or small scoop, approximately 1 inch apart. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cookies are firm. Move to wire rack to cool.
Recipe should make two or three dozen, depending on the size of your scoop.

Originally I got this recipe from Ann Kroeker’s Food on Friday site, and I apologize that I did not save the ladies name who originally supplied this.

This post is linked with Ann Kroeker’s, Food on Fridays Blog Hop
Do hop on over to her site and gather up some delicious recipes.

Oh Yes, you are also invited to join with others on Tuesday at “Tell Me a True Story” at my new Blog Party: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/   I was inspired by Ann Kroeker to “Rescue The Stories” To view Ann’s post about her dream CLICK HERE.

3 comments:

caryjo said...

The recipe looks like it should be shared with ANY of us. Glad your dogs are so happy... don't know how they couldn't be with this.

a joyful noise said...

Any one with dogs would love to have this recipe!
I gave a bag of the dog treats to my neighbor leaving them on his pickup as they were not home. Marked on the bag Dog treats, - - - but I think they thought that was just the name and they were real cookies. I must tell you they are not too tasty for humans, but our dogs love them.

Anonymous said...

I'm sending this to my son, he has 2 big labs, thank you Hazel

Love, Vicki K