Monday, March 5, 2012

Potty Training with Success


image courtesy photobucket.com

I remember those Potty training days, and I started out early.

When my little ones woke from their nap, and if my babies were dry, I removed their clean diaper, and held them over the toilet with their back resting on me, and the sink faucet slowly running.

Just like you train an animal (smile) when they did their duty, I happily announced, “Good girl,” or “Good boy.”

When they were able to walk and talk a bit, they were given home made trousers with an elastic waist that could easily be pulled down and kicked off. I taught them to crawl up on the toilet, and straddle it facing the back of the commode, because they were too little to back up or stand as they later would do.

My children learned to call me for help if they needed a wipe, or other help getting dressed again.

Cloth diapers were the only available item, and if I had it to do over again, I would not use the new paper disposable ones, except perhaps on occasion such as when traveling.

Mother’s today are brainwashed by the advertisements and articles written by pull ups, and large size paper diapers, telling them that babies should not be potty trained until they are ready!

Understand that the diaper industry is a multibillion dollar business.

Just let them mess and potty in their diapers until they are over two years old even longer some of the baby experts tell our mothers!

Naturally these manufacturers are out to get the hard earned dollars with the many repeat purchases for as long as you believe them. The experts may even have an investment in the Stock market of some of these companies!! I wouldn’t doubt it.

Our children were proud to wear “big girl panties or big boy briefs.”

They never had a bed wetting problem, and it may have been because every night before bed I gave each child a teaspoon of molasses. Why? It might be because it was very close to the formula of an expensive children’s liquid vitamin that I could not afford to purchase. Remember that molasses is full of iron and also helps regularity.

It took a lot of observation and attention by me to catch all this so early but it was successful. Some will say, “That I as the mother was the one trained, and it all just happened, and I was lucky.” Well I must answer, “Who is kidding who about now?”

I understand that this scripture actually does not apply here, but it is a good one!

“Train up a child in the way that he should go and later he will not depart from it.”


This post is a true story when my children were small and is being entered at the New Blog Party, Tell Me a True Story linked at: http://letmetelluastory.blogspot.com/
Also Linked to Shanda’s On your Heart Tuesday  

Please check this post out by "Find a Baby Sitter Blog" She writes a post on 10 ways to cover up when your child has an unexpected accident.  Direct link is below - - -
 http://www.findababysitter.org/blog/10-ways-to-cover-up-when-a-child-has-a-potty-accident/

7 comments:

Denise said...

Good post.

Laurie Collett said...

Lack of discipline and Biblical upbringing are responsible for so many of the behavior problems and character flaws we see today. This Bible verse should be the motto for every parent.
Love in Him,
Laurie

Aritha V. said...

I like your post.
For me, the girls were potty trained much earlier than the boys :-)

Saleslady371 said...

I liked those cloth diapers too because my kids never had diaper rash. This post is full of information!

bluecottonmemory said...

Each of my boys was different, different ages by months - each one had a different motivational need - but whatever their learning curve was - it took a mother's diligence, self-discipline and leadership to get it done!

Helen said...

I don't have children, but my parents had told me that by the time I was a year old, they could recognize my signals (I'd cry beforehand because I HATED being wet and knew it was going to happen) and would hold me over the potty. Why not?

caryjo said...

I wasn't able to train my kids as quickly or early, BUT I had very few disposal diapers, only for church, etc. It still really bugs me that hundreds of budget dollars are automatically spent on disposals. The other bug? Filling so much garbage with them. I really agree with this post, believe me.